Sadly a large number of the world population is suffering from depression or has gone through this feeling at least one point of their lifetime. And now it seems inevitable too. This is the safest reality of today’s time but there is no need to lose hope. Yes, we do agree that depression is not something which is uncommon these days but people are also talking about it as well. For the past few years, people are talking about it and openly about their struggles and how they coped up with depression. So that more and more people are aware of this and they know that they can seek help whenever they need it.
Depression is not something which can be taken for granted and you can’t deal with it casual if you are feeling depressed for a long time now then go ahead and seek help or take the necessary measures to not be depressed. In this article, we are going to talk about such measures as well.
Here we have listed a few ways which can help you to cope up with depression and you might feel good about yourself. So legs move ahead and read about the necessary measures that you can take to not be depressed.
- 1 How To Not Be Depressed
- 1.1 1. Shift your focus
- 1.2 2. Try to remember happy things in your life
- 1.3 3. Do something you love
- 1.4 4. Take a break
- 1.5 5. Write a journal
- 1.6 6. Take care of your diet
- 1.7 7. Start Exercise
- 1.8 8. Meditation and yoga
- 1.9 9. Have a routine
- 1.10 10. Spend some time with the people who really care about you
- 1.11 11. Watch your sleep time
- 1.12 12. Reward yourself
- 1.13 13. Start taking therapy
How To Not Be Depressed
1. Shift your focusThe first advice that we would like to give you is to shift your focus from all the bad things to the good ones. Some times we are responsible for our state of depression, for eg, if you tell yourself constantly that you are not worthy enough, good enough, pretty enough, funny enough or intelligent enough and you keep saying that I am ugly, I am unloved, etc., these things can cause an extreme problem for your mental health.You can’t stop saying this thing in a moment to yourself but try to limit such though as much as possible. These are some of the negative thought that makes us depressed and create negativity around ourselves.This might also mean that you are stuck with one kind of feeling and that it’s time that you move on and shift your focus on the good things. You can write about the things you are thankful for or you can also tell yourself one good thing about yourself or your surrounding. This will eventually help you to cope up with depression.
2. Try to remember happy things in your lifeBeing depressed means that you are constantly visiting the painful memories like the failure of a relationship or loss in business etc. If you keep going to those feelings again and again you might find yourself stuck in those feeling and it is not at all healthy.So the next time you start to think about the bad memories, try to close your eyes and visit any happy memory. It might feel too difficult to do but make it a habit and at least try to think about the good memories instead of bad ones.
3. Do something you loveIf it’s been long since you have done something that you love doing then this might be a time that you revisit your hobbies and start doing something for yourself. It can be anything from painting to dancing. Just be with yourself for a moment and start doing the things that you enjoyed in the past.See when you do something that you are highly interested in then there is a positive effect on your mind and at the end of the day, you will feel happy about it. So either make a habit of doing something you love every day or at least do it on the weekends.
4. Take a breakIf you are constantly being in an environment full of stress then this might be a time to take a break. Work is definitely important but it shouldn’t cost you your mental health. Even if you love your works, you might wanna take a break and spend some time with your friends or family.You can either plan a vacation or visit your happy place (your childhood home etc) this will be definitely one of the best ways to make yourself happy. A long vacation trip with your friends once a year should be there. And you can also spend the weekends without stressing on the work.
5. Write a journalExperts say that writing a journal is one of the most effective ways to fight depression and that’s what you should be doing when it comes to not being depressed. See there are so many ways writing journals can help.Start writing about how you feel and what you are going through. It will be like leaving those things in that journal and taking some burden off yourself. You might write about the things you like, things that inspire you, and your goals for the day or week.Your journal should be filled with all the positive things, although you might write about your true feelings as well. Overall, the writing journal does help a lot and you should definitely start one.
6. Take care of your dietYour diet can also have a huge impact on your mental health. Make some necessary changes in your diet and this will have a good effect on your physical and mental health. You can cut back on the food that contains high sugar, salt, fat, etc. These things are anyway not healthy for your body.You can try taking vegetables, fruits, and whole-grain foods. Drink more water and take high protein and nutrient-rich food. See the thing is if you have a healthy body, it will also have a nice effect on your mind as well.
7. Start ExerciseExercise is also an important factor when it comes to dealing with depression. You can’t just stay on a couch or sit on the chair for the whole day. You gotta start moving and do something physical as well.You start by a simple run or doing some exercises at home or you can go to the gym and have a full work out session. Either way, when you work hard and sweat it out, your body will release serotonin which is known as the happy hormone. So go ahead and start exercising.
8. Meditation and yogaThe concept is the same with these as well. Here the meditation is considered as one of the best ways to release stress and anxiety out of the body. If you practice meditation every day, you will be more focused on your work and less anxious about the stuff that no longer is there for you. Practicing breathing is one of the best ways to relieve your anxiety and stress so make sure you practice meditation as much as possible.If you don’t like the gym and intense workout then you can also start yoga, it is also becoming popular day by day when it comes to our physical and mental health.
9. Have a routineHaving a routine is also helpful and you might feel less stressed when you know what you have to do the whole day and how you are going to manage things. You can create a schedule for yourself and try to stick to it as much as possible.You should find some goals for yourself at the start of the day and complete them by the end of the day. When you see yourself accomplishing your goals, you will feel good and confident about yourself.
10. Spend some time with the people who really care about youYou might have hundreds of people that you know but only a few of them care for you and they are the most important person in your life. So try sticking to them as much as possible. Whenever you have time visit your friends or family and spend some quality time with them. Spending time with your friends and family will have a positive effect on your mind and you will feel good as well.
11. Watch your sleep timeHaving good sleep can also help you to not be depressed. Our sleep cycle is directly related to our mental health and it shouldn’t be taken for granted. If you have trouble sleeping then try some medication (prescribed).You should have a general bedtime routine. The general thumb rule is you should sleep early and wake up early. So try to avoid using the phone at night and try reading a book before going to bed.
12. Reward yourselfIf you can blame yourself for your mistakes then you can surely reward yourself whenever you achieve something in life. Your reward can be anything from a long bubble bath to a spa. You have to remind yourself that you are doing good and you deserve all the happiness in the world. So even if there is a little achievement, don’t shy away from celebrating it.
13. Start taking therapyIf you see your self losing sleep or sleeping too much, having a low appetite or eating too much, and you find it difficult to concentrate or perform the daily task then this might be the time that you visit a therapist and take some professional help.It might seem like a big deal but you have to understand that it’s perfectly fine. And it is a necessary measure that you have to take in order to help yourself prevent from depression it coming out of it. Don’t shy away to ask for help or do whatever needs to be done in order to protect yourself.
So these are some of the ways which can help you deal with depression. We know this is a big deal and we know it’s not easy for anyone to go through this feeling, but you have to understand that you are not alone in this. And if you focus on the right things, the situation might change for good as well.
With the hope that you liked our article, here we say goodbye to you. Just remember that you are strong enough to fight depression and this feeling won’t stay long with you. Thank you for visiting our page and we hope we were helpful.