Portable Fish Finders have become a necessity these days and you should get one if you love fishing. We all know fishing is a game of patience, if you can’t be patient enough then you might as well drop the idea of fishing. It true that you have to wait for the fish to bite the bait so you can have a fish to take home to. But there is a limit to which we can wait and no one wants to be stuck at one place for the rest of the day at just one place and that too with no fish. Thankfully we have a gadget that can make our fusing trips bearable and fun as well and that is the fish finders.
The fish finders come in many types and you can easily pick the one you find most suitable. The three major types are portable, castable, and mountable. Out of these three, the portable fish finders are most useful in the present time.
What is Portable Fish Finders?
Portable Fishfinders are a small device that uses sonar technology that helps you to discover where you can find fishes. There are small enough to fit in your pockets so you don’t even have to out them or assemble them on your boat. Due to this quality of its, fishermen always keep the portable fish finders with them.
There are several portable fish finders available in the market so you can easily pick one of them. However these many choices can make you confused, so you got to take some help in this matter. To save you from the trouble of looking through all the portable fish finders and then choose one, we have made a list of the 15 best portable fish finders for you. To help you further, we have also included a buying guide for portable fish finders at the bottom of the article, check that out as well.
Let’s go ahead and take a look at the following list of the best portable fish finders for you.
- 1 What is Portable Fish Finders?
- 2 Best Portable Fish Finders
- 2.1 1. Garmin Striker 4 Fish Finder
- 2.2 2. Humminbird PiranhaMAX
- 2.3 3. Deeper PRO+ Smart Sonar
- 2.4 4. Humminbird Fishing Buddy MAX
- 2.5 5. Venterior VT-FF001 Portable Fish Finder
- 2.6 6. RICANK Handheld Portable Fish Scanner
- 2.7 7. FishHunter PRO Smart with Wireless Technology
- 2.8 8. LUCKY Portable Fish Scanner with LCD Scanner
- 2.9 9. Lowrance Hook 3X
- 2.10 10. HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2 PT
- 2.11 11. ReelSonar Wireless Bluetooth Smart Sonar Fish Finder
- 2.12 12. Vexilar SonarPhone
- 2.13 13. Hawkeye Fishtrax 1C Fish Finder
- 2.14 14. Raymarine Dragonfly PRO CHIRP Fish Finder
- 2.15 15. Docooler Portable 3.5″ LCD
- 2.16 Buying Guide for Portable Fish Finders
- 2.17 Conclusion
Best Portable Fish Finders
Our first pick for the best portable fish finder is the Garmin Striker 4 Fish Finder. This popular smartwatch brand has been our favorite for a while now all thanks to its high-end technology and quality. So it makes sense that we start our list of the best portable fish finders with Garmin.The portable fish finder is quite small and can be easily carried around anywhere. The portable fisher finder used the CHIRP Sonar Technology which means it continuously sends sweeps of the frequencies to scan the fishing area and tells you where you can find a fish. This is why users get a more accurate result with this portable fish finder.It also comes with an integrated GPS which would help you to navigate so you will see where are the fishes as well as your geographical location. The price is reasonable and it will provide you the value for your money, so it can be your favorite pick as well.Key Features
- Integrated GPS makes navigation easier
- It features a 3.5-inch high-quality display
- It is fully waterproof
If you are looking for a large-screen display and a device that can display the easy to understand features and results then Humminbird PiranhaMAX should be your first pick. This one features a 4.3-inch screen with a crystal clear display which makes it easy to understand and see the results.The portable fish finder uses the dual-beam sonar which means that you would be able to employ either a narrow or wide sonar beam. A wide sonar beam would tell you what’s beneath the surface and you will get a broader perspective as well. While with a narrow sonar beam, you would get a detailed description of what’s near you.There are other features as well, including, fish alarm, depth alarm, or zoom feature which makes your whole experience customized. You can also get a cover for this portable fish finder which makes it easy to handle and use and protect it from splashes and winds.Key Features
- The portable fish finder is entirely waterproof
- Rechargeable batteries
- It features dual beam sonar and the transducer is pretty good too
Deeper PRO+ Smart Sonar is another one of the leading portable fish finders that you can rely on. This portable fish finder can be easily paired up with your phone and has an integrated GPS. The users would be able to create bathymetric maps for shore, map out the certain shore of the lake, and monitor the results later when they are at their home.This one can issue fifteen scans per second so you would get a more accurate and precise picture of what’s under the surface. One of the most impressive features of the portable fish finder is that it gives a rough picture of where the fishes are. The dual-beam technology is another perk of this portable device.The battery would last for up to 8 hours so you don’t have to worry about finding an electrical outlet or charging the battery. All this you get under an affordable and reasonable price and it worth every penny that you are going to spend on it.Key Features
- It has the dual-beam technology
- Can be connected via Wi-Fi to your phone and monitored
- Users can map out the water depth for shore fishing
Humminbird Fishing Buddy MAX is also a leading choice for one of the best portable fish finders that you can get. This one comes from a leading and trustable brand. This fish finder is both portable as well as mountable. You can mount it on every kind of boat, whether it’s a canoe or a kayak. This one is quite easy to set up on any boat and this way you won’t have to keep the fish finder in your hand all the time.The 3.5 inches LED display is connected to a long metal structure that features an adjustable clamp. This one, too, features a dual beam sonar technology so either you can go for the narrow view or wide view according to your preferences. The device can distinguish between a rock and a fish so you don’t waste your time. The portable fish finder works on disposable AA batteries. Overall it’s a great portable fish finder to rely on and you would love it as well.Key Features
- Easy to set up and gives you a hands-free experience of fishing
- Powered by disposable batteries which makes it highly portable
- This can be mounted on any kind of boat
Venterior VT-FF001 Portable Fish Finder is our next pick for the best portable fish finders and it would meet your requirements as well as expectations of a true portable fish finder. The most impressive things about the fish finder are that it is one of the cheapest options on our list. Even being cheap, the portable fish finder doesn’t compromise with the quality or functionality.The display is in black and whites, which may or may not be the drawback, although some people like the black-white theme better than the colored one which seems too much sometimes (to some people). The portable fish finder can easily be used in the night time by switching the screen backlit on.With it, you will get information like where are the fishes, how deep the water is, and which are the rock and trees.Key Features
- Operates on disposable batteries
- Built-in GPS is present
- Suitable for cold climate and night time
RICANK Handheld has also made a place for itself in our list of best portable fish finders. There are several things that you are going to love about this portable fish finder and most of all you would love its price tag that is affordable as well as reasonable.This one too features a black and white screen and it makes sure that you get everything you have been looking for in a simple and intuitive form. The yellow float connected to the transducer would make it easier to find a spot in the water. One of the best things is, it will work anywhere, the lake, the shore or the river, you can take it everywhere and catch a good number of fishes. The depth range is 300 feet for this portable fish finder.Here the cone angle is at 45 degrees which are quite enough to get the job done, although you won’t find the dual-beam technology. The scanner and transducer both feature a five-hour battery life with one recharge cycle.Key Features
- Affordable yet impress us with its functionality
- No GPS integrated but the transducer is quite good
- The Black and white screen makes it easier to read.
7. FishHunter PRO Smart with Wireless TechnologyFishHunter PRO Smart with Wireless Technology is another one of the leading portable fish finders that you need to look at. This one may be one of the most expensive devices on our list but somehow it’s worth it. The FishHunter does justifies its name as it can get you every little detail that is worth knowing when you are fishing. You can know the depth of water, the temperature of the water, and so on.The fish finder features two modes, one is the fish view and the other one is the raw view. The former simple things and tell you the location of fishes while the latter would get you the complete information and display every detail the transducer is getting.One of the perks of getting this portable fish finder is that you can also use it while ice fishing. Since ice fishing can be a lot different than normal fishing anywhere, the fish finder does a pretty good job and does not disappoint you in freezing temperatures.Since it’s wireless, the device can be connected to your smartphone via Wi-Fi and features a strong connectivity option.Key Features
- It features strong connectivity and can be paired with your smartphone
- The rechargeable batteries last for up to 10 hours
- Used for ice fishing
Lucky Portable Fish Scanner also makes a good option for anyone whose hobby is fishing. It is the cheapest and smallest portable fish finder that you can find and yet it is bang on its scans and results.It tracks the water depts, underwater contour, water temperature, and the fishes obviously. The yellow transducer and the two beams on the fish would attract the fishes. The scanner and the transducer can be recharged, the scanners featured a battery of four hours while the transducer lasts for 10 hours, ao it’s pretty balanced.Key Features
- Ideal for night fishing given the two light beams
- The small and compact design makes it pretty easy to carry around
- It’s waterproof
Lowrance Hook is one of the leading brands that develop some of the best fish finders, and the Lowrance Hook 3X is the best portable fish finder that you can find. This one is easy to use and has some of the best features that you can look for in a portable fish finder.Its full color backlit screen makes it easier for the user to understand the results of the scan and locate the fishes. It features dual-frequency so you can scan a wide area or let you focus on a particular area.Key Features
- Features dual frequency which makes the scan easier
- The colored and backlit screen is quite useful
- Comes with a built-in temperature probe
HELIX is also a leading portable fish finder that you can rely on. This one comes from Humminbird which is anyway known for its best quality and accuracy. The CHIRP technology makes it even more reliable. Its GPS integrated system would make a big impact and it can easily feature a map of a lake.Key Features
- It comes with a kit which would make it portable and easy to carry
- The CHIRP technology and the integrated GPS worth every penny
ReelSonar is another one of the best portable fish finders for fishing that would serve all your needs. Although this one uses your phone to show the results which makes it unique.In this portable fish finder, you would be able to mark the specific locations or fish maps for later use or sharing on social media. With an integrated GPS, you would be able to save the locations or navigate as well. The built-in LED beam makes it ideal for night time fishing.Key Features
- Comes at a reasonable price
- It connects to your phone and shows the data on that
- Pretty small in size and also works at night as well
Vexilar too is a good choice for a portable fish finder and this one does an excellent job as well. This one features a four-hour lithium battery. This one too can be connected via Wi-Fi for better results and functionality.Key Features
- It is a good enough portable finder at a reasonable price
- Wi-Fi enabled
- Can scan up to 125 feet of depth
Hawkeye would also impress you if you are casual fishermen. This one has all the crucial features that make a portable fish finder the best. It features a backlit screen with a color display. The dual-beam sonar would also is one of the best features. This one can scan up to 150 feet of depth.Key Features
- Can be used at any time of the year
- Is suitable for the beginners
- It features an audible depth alarm
The Raymarine Dragonfly PRO is our next pick and it won’t disappoint you either. With a reasonable price, you are getting pretty impressive features such as the CHIRP technology, the backlit LED screen, and a large enough display. The portable fish finder won’t disappoint you in any manner.Key Features
- Comes with an app that can monitor the scans and view the results
- decent features at an affordable price
15. Docooler Portable 3.5″ LCDThe Docooler Portable has also caught our attention and it dies makes a pretty good option for a portable fish finder. Although it’s expensive, but it features decent functionality and performance and it is reliable as well. It can be used anywhere including sea, river, shore, or lake. It is ideal for beginners as well as professionals. Overall it’s quite impressive and you can rely on it.Key Features
- This one well built and durable
- Users can zoom the scan results as well
- Water temperature indicator and bottom contour are also present.
Buying Guide for Portable Fish FindersTo get the best portable fish finder, you have to get the best features as well. Here we are going to list down some of the best features to look for in portable fish finders.1. BatteriesEvery portable device needs some kind of power source and in most cases, it is the batteries.So you got to take a look at the batteries and see if they can get the job done. You can see if it’s rechargeable batteries or disposable batteries. The batteries are more efficient as you can recharge them once and they will last longer. You can look at how these batteries are charge and how long they can work.
2. High Quality of TransducerThe quality of the transducer will decide how powerful your portable fish finder is and how much you can rely on them. The transducer is what would emit the sound waves and tells you if there are any fishes near you. So if the transducer isn’t very strong enough then you might not get the best results. You can look at the customer’s reviews and find out if the transducer is worthy or not.
3. Power RatingsJust like the transducers, the power ratings suggest if the portable fish finder is good enough or not. The power ratings are measured in watts. The portable fish finders come in both high and low power ratings. Although both of them can get the job done you should go for the higher ratings. The higher the ratings, the more accurate will be the results.
4. PortabilityWell, we know every one of the fish finders is portable here but you gotta see if they are portable enough and they are easy to transport as well. The design should be compact enough so that it can be carried around easily. Make sure you buy a battery-powered portable fish finder.
5. Screen Size and Display QualityYou don’t want to carry a microscope to see what is appearing on the screen. So the size of the screen does matter very much when it comes to a portable fish finder. 3.5 inches should be the ideal screen size and you can opt for a larger screen size as well.Along with the screen size, the display quality should be high as well. You should be able to easily analyze. The display should be clear when it’s too dark or too bright. Remember the fish finder won’t be useful if you can’t recognize what’s written on the display or screen.
6. ConnectivityThe connectivity should be your concern as well. Since it’s the 21st century, you don’t want to invest in anything that cant be connected to your phone or other devices. The ideal portable fish finder should be able to connect to your phone and help you out with the maps and assist you in any way possible. The connectivity should be strong and reliable.
7. FrequencyThe Frequency of the transducer should also be an important factor to consider while buying one for yourself. You should opt-out for a portable fish finder which allows you to set the frequency as per your needs.
8. Cone AngleCone angles are pretty important as well. These would let you know what’s beneath the water. You would need good cone shape waves to get a complete idea of what’s going beneath the surface of the water.
9. WaterproofYes, we have to mention this feature because not all portable fish finders are waterproof which raises a problem. Well we dint need to tell you why you need to buy a waterproof fishfinder cause if you don’t there are high chances that your fish finder end up in the water and you would be in the need of a new portable fish finder again.
10. CostThe cost of the portable fish finder is also an important feature to look at. You don’t wanna overspend or buy a fish finder that doesn’t give you the value for your money. Make sure you are buying a good portable fish finder within the budget and one that would be worth every single penny you spend on.
ConclusionHere we have mentioned all the portable fish finders that we think worth your money and can meet all your requirements as they are feature-packed.For more information, you can check out the customer reviews, which would help you to make a good enough decision. Overall, our job here is done as we have provided you with the list of best portable fish finders, and now it’s up to you which one you choose for yourself.Thank you for visiting and we hope you found our article helpful.