Getting into residency and starting your career in the field of medicine is one of the biggest moments for any doctor. Young doctors would be overwhelmed and thinking a lot of things before they give the interview or talk to their residency program directors. Although they forget that they also have a right to ask certain questions to their residency program directors.
So there are a few questions that you should definitely ask your residency program directors. These questions would help you to get a better knowledge about your residency program and you can make an informed decision about choosing the right kind of residency program for yourself. But which questions you should be asking your residency program director? Well, we are here for that.
Here we have listed out some of the most important questions that you should be asking your residency program directors. Take a look at the following questions.
Questions to ask residency program directors
1. Which obstetric procedures are available in the program?
2. What are the learning processes for training in obstetrics? Which faculty teach obstetrics?
3. If there is an obstetrics/gynecology (OB/GYN) residency, how do family medicine residents work with faculty and residents in that program? Which residents cover call for OB service?
4. Could you describe the residency’s relationship with the other departments or services that provide OB care?
5. How would you describe the program’s OB experience?
6. How many deliveries does a typical resident handle in your residency? Will I have an adequate volume of deliveries in training to be trained to handle deliveries in practice? Could you describe options to have more or fewer deliveries, and what that might be like?
7. How many continuity deliveries does a typical resident handle in your residency? Could you describe options to have more or fewer continuity delivers, and what that might be like?
8. Can you tell me about a resident who has (insert your own educational goals), and how she or he has accomplished that goal?
9. Does the program participate in Reproductive Health Education in Family Medicine (RHEDI) certification for pregnancy termination procedures?10. Where are most past graduates located?
11. Which type of practices do past graduates go in to after residency?
12. How do you perceive your program compared to other programs?
13. What are the program’s strengths? What makes the program unique?
14. What kind of feedback have past graduates given you about your program?
15. Which rotations are conducted at which hospitals and clinics?
16. What other residency programs are on-site?
17. How and how often is feedback provided to residents?
18. How would you describe the patient demographics?
19. What community service programs does your residency offer?
20. What changes do you anticipate in the program during the next three years?
21. In what ways is the program an innovator in education?
22. Can you give me an example of how the program handles X, Y, or Z (Be specific. Ask about scheduling, leadership development experiences, away rotations, navigating different approaches to complex situation, etc.)?
Conclusion –So these are the questions that you should be asking your residency program director. Seems fair, right? These questions are suggested by the experts to help out people like you. These questions would help you to get all the answers to your doubts and you would finally know what to expect from your residency program.