The French capital in our country is quite popular for its beautiful scenic views and French heritage. Pondicherry has been considered as one of the best tourist destinations in South India, thanks to its rich history, amazingly designed French architect, calmness, and of course the bit of French style which attracts the people from all over the world to see its beauty.
Most people think you can just relax at the beach side or take a boat ride in Pondicherry but that’s not even a bit of the thing the place has to offer to you. And that’s why you need to know about Pondicherry and know what it has to offer to you.
Here we have written several things that you can do in Pondicherry and have the best time there. When you know what you can do there you will be able to plan your holiday in a better way and won’t miss out on anything and regret it later. So let’s start our list of the best things to do in Pondicherry!
- 1 Things To Do In Pondicherry
- 1.1 1. Try surfing and scuba diving
- 1.2 2. Bicycle Tours in Pondicherry
- 1.3 3. Canoeing and Kayaking in Pondicherry
- 1.4 4. Visit Pondicherry Museum
- 1.5 5. Explore Auroville
- 1.6 6. Goubert Avenue- walk along the seafront
- 1.7 7. Go to the Lighthouse to taste the best food
- 1.8 8. Visit Asta for a drink and a dance!
- 1.9 9. Go for shopping
- 1.10 10. Sita Cultural Center
- 1.11 11. Explore the churches
- 1.12 12. Houseboat Ride
- 1.13 13. Visit the temples in Pondicherry
- 1.14 14. Pondicherry Botanical Garden
- 1.15 15. Watch sunrise and sunset
Things To Do In Pondicherry
1. Try surfing and scuba divingOne of the best things that you can do in Pondicherry is Surfing and scuba diving! We know there are other coastal areas in India to try out surfing but here you would find the best facilities. There are two beaches, Serenity and Paradise, where you can do surfing. The management there is quite impressive and you can also easily rent the equipment and enjoy your surfing time. With luck, you can find the right winds and waves to enjoy surfing.Surfing isn’t the only sport adventure that you can try, the other popular water activity to do in Pondicherry is Scuba Diving. Here the beaches or water banks featured clear water as well as the diverse marine life which you would like to explore. Both the beginners and experts can go for scuba diving, as you can go to a depth from 5 meters to 40 meters. The marine life and the feeling of being underwater are just something else and you shouldn’t miss out on this opportunity either.
2. Bicycle Tours in PondicherryBicycle Tours in Pondicherry is also an interesting activity to do. The place is just beautiful and you wouldn’t wanna miss the French colonies of the little settlements of the Tamil people, so take the bicycles and go on a tour of Pondicherry.The bicycle tours would be supervised by the guides and you would learn about the different cultural centers of the territory, here you would certainly like the different settlements from people of different religions and see how beautiful they look even when they are so diverse from each other.The whole bicycle tour will last for about a couple of hours and you will explore the pastel town.
3. Canoeing and Kayaking in PondicherryThe water activities that you can try out in Pondicherry is Canoeing and Kayaking. These two activities surely sound fun and a lot of people might have tried before even expert at it, but in case you don’t know how to do these things then don’t worry because here you would find qualified instructors who will supervise and make sure you learn the important stuff and enjoy yourself. Here the professional trainers make sure that you are safe and secure and don’t do anything to harm yourself while doing these things. Scenic beaches are considered as one of the best beaches to do canoeing and kayaking for the best experience.
4. Visit Pondicherry MuseumIf you are one of those people who like to get all the information about the place they are visiting then Pondicherry Museum is a must-visit place for you.The Pondicherry Museum, like any other museum, features several historical artifacts that represent the cultural heritage of the place. Here you would find some of the art pieces from ancient times to the present day. Things vary from the Chola and Pallava dynasties to the French and Roman artifacts. There are also some handicrafts, a geology room as well as the French Furniture.
5. Explore AurovilleAuroville is a small town in Pondicherry which is also known as the City of Dawn! The place is popular in Pondicherry and there is a lot to explore here as well. This is also known as a universal town as anyone can live here irrespective of their caste, religion, culture, country! This place is a true example of unity in diversity as everyone lives with peace and harmony.You should know that the town is divided into different zones, the peace zone, the residential zone, and the international zone. You can find several places to visit here such as the Matrimandir or the places where different kinds of events and activities are held. You can also live among the people of Auroville and experience their lifestyle.
6. Goubert Avenue- walk along the seafrontIf you want to do some offbeat things at the coastal location in Pondicherry then Goubert Avenue is a must-visit place. This place is very peaceful as well as hassle-free which ensures a peaceful and quality time at the seafront. You will see young couples, tourists, and local people taking a walk and enjoying the sunset or walking late at night.The traffic movement isn’t allowed from the evening to the next morning to make the place ideal for visitors. So this is surely a place where you can spend some quality time, so if you just want to relax and take a walk beside the sea then you are always welcome at Goubert Avenue.
7. Go to the Lighthouse to taste the best foodWe are pretty sure that you would get hungry doing all these water activities or exploring the beauty of Pondicherry, so when it comes to food, Pondicherry won’t let down its visitors.There are many places where you can enjoy good food, but the best of them would be Lighthouse. It’s a rooftop restaurant where you can go on an aromatic date with your partner. The lights and the view are just perfect. And the food is utterly delicious. Here you would find a variety of cuisines, but the specialty of Pondicherry is the French Cuisine, the authentic south Indian dishes as well as continental delicacies.
8. Visit Asta for a drink and a dance!It would be a crime if we don’t mention Asta on our list of best things to do in Pondicherry. As much as you would enjoy the daytime activities, water sports, sunbathing, or exploring the little towns in Pondicherry, we are pretty sure you would definitely wanna experience the crazy nightlife in Pondicherry as well.The Asta Lounge is just the perfect place to go have a drink and have the best time here. From the decor to the drinks, everything is just perfect here and you won’t need anything else. Neon lights, the crowd, and the liquor made it a perfect place to party at night.
9. Go for shoppingWho can resist shopping on holiday? Pondicherry features many places to shop where you can do your retail therapy. The thing is there are some of the very unique things to find such as the incense sticks, essential oils, handmade paper items, handicrafts, artifacts, and cotton dresses. Most of the things are locally produced and that’s why you won’t find them anywhere.From traditional items to some of the best accessories and dresses, you would find everything in here. The prices range is also very generous so no matter what your budget is, you can always find something for yourself to take home with you.
10. Sita Cultural CenterIf you want to learn something unique and native then you should definitely visit the Sita Cultural Center. It’s not a fancy shop where you can wander around and learn about history but here you can actually put some efforts and learn new things.Some of the things that you can learn here are Indian cooking, Tamil Language, Kolam, Ayurvedic Medicine, Yoga, Pilates, and so on. The classes would be arranged at your convenience and you can easily pick a time which is most suitable for you. Although holiday and learning don’t go hand in hand but still if you want to learn something new then you must visit the Sita Cultural Center.
11. Explore the churchesAs we know the French had colonized this place for a very long time and this can be seen clearly with the number of Churches present here. The churches are very beautiful and serene so you would love to explore them. As you know there are many churches present in Pondicherry and each one of them is different in their way.If you are here in December then you would like the whole Christmas to feel with all the churches decorated, Christmas trees, bells, plum cakes, and so on. So try to visit as many churches as possible.
12. Houseboat RideHouseboat Rides are another fun thing to do in Pondicherry that you should not miss out on. The houseboats will take you to the less explored and beautiful backwaters of Pondicherry. The Chunnamber Boat House is very popular in Pondicherry for Houseboat rides. This features the wooden cruises and takes you to the beautiful waters with a scenic view.While you sail, you can stop at the places popular for hiking, picnic, and camping and do a whole of other activities. Overall this is a must-do thing in Pondicherry and also one of the relaxing things you would do there.
13. Visit the temples in PondicherryEven though the French were the last to rule this place for over a century but before them the Hindu Patrons used to call it their kingdom. And under their patronage, several Hindu temples have been built which features the ancient Hindu culture and architecture of the ancient times. You can visit a few temples here and seek the blessings of Lord Shiva!
14. Pondicherry Botanical GardenPondicherry Botanical Garden is another must-visit place. The whole garden reflects the French style and is built with French architecture. You will see the flower beds, fountains, pruned trees, toy trains, and aquariums.You will find around 1500 different species of plants from all across the world. The fountain is kind of the main attractions here as there are fountain shows held with lights and music which is pretty cool to watch. So align your schedule with the musical fountain show at the botanical garden so that you won’t miss it.
15. Watch sunrise and sunsetPondicherry is popular for its many sunrises and sunset location where the whole scene looks surreal and you just feel like being a part of a movie. So do not miss out on the beautiful sunrise and sunset from the beaches.
So these are the things that you can do while you are in Pondicherry, sounds fun, right? We bet you didn’t expect that the place would offer so much to see, do, and the great food to eat. But now that you know what are the best things to do in Pondicherry, our job here is done and now it’s up to you that you go to these places and have the best holiday in Pondicherry. So thank you for being with us and stay tuned for more such articles in the future as well.