The city of Pune has been under the shadow of Mumbai for a long time, but Pune has built its own identity and is now considered as one of the best cities in India to live and explore. Pune is located at just 3 hours of distance from Mumbai but it seems like a whole new world given its own cultural heritage and the historical values.
- 1 Things To Do In Pune
- 1.1 1. Shaniwar Wada
- 1.2 2. The Aga Khan Palace
- 1.3 3. Hadapsar Gliding Center
- 1.4 4. Try out the Tandoori Chai
- 1.5 5. Pataleshwar Cave Temple
- 1.6 6. Sinhagad Fort
- 1.7 7. Dagadusheth Halwai Ganesha Temple
- 1.8 8. Osho Garden
- 1.9 9. Lonavala
- 1.10 10. Seven Wonders theme park
- 1.11 11. Try out some baked stuff at German Bakery
- 1.12 12. Explore the Wildlife at Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park
- 1.13 13. Karla Caves
- 1.14 14. Go for Paragliding at Kamshet
- 1.15 15. Go to Parvati Hills for a breathtaking view
Things To Do In Pune
1. Shaniwar WadaIf you are an Indian you must be aware of the popular Bollywood film, Bajirao Mastani, and the history of Bajirao and the royals of that time. Well, what could be better than visiting the iconic place where it all happened? So the first thing that you need to do in Pune is to visit the Shaniwar Wada.The Fort was built in 1732, it was the crown seat of the Maratha Empire. At present, the place is known as a historical site and one of the most famous landmarks of the city. Unfortunately, the fort was destroyed in 1828 by the Britishers, but its ruins are still preserved and well maintained which attracts a lot of visitors to the city.There are many things to see in Shaniwar Wada including the famous gates and the places that were used by the royals, the fountain is also very beautiful to look at. The Palace is still worth our attention even after a part of it got ruined. So make sure you pay your visit here and know about the history and the culture of Pune and Marathas.The visiting hours start from 9 AM and it’s open till 5.30 PM.
2. The Aga Khan PalaceThe Palace was built by Sultan Aga Khan in 1892. The Palace is so majestic that it is not only a landmark to Pune but it’s popular in the entire country, and that makes it one of the popular places to visit in Pune.The Palace was built to serve the poor who faced rough times after the floods and other unfair treatments. After that, the Palace was used by the Britishers and they have also kept Mahatama Gandhi under house arrest during the freedom struggle movements.At present, the Palace has become a museum as well as a memorial for Gandhi. Here you would see the room where he lived and the books and the things used by him during the arrest. The place also features a beautiful garden and a store that sells Khadi cloth. There are also other things sold at a reasonable price.The building is pretty great and majestic and it will be worth visiting the place and know its historical value.
3. Hadapsar Gliding CenterIf you’re one of those people who always wanted to fly a plane then you are going to complete your dream in Pune! Here you will get to ride a two-seater plane that will give you once a lifetime experience, so it would be the best thing to do in Pune. The Hadapsar Gliding Center make sure of your safety and you won’t even hear the annoying sound of the engine, so it would be pretty calming as well as exciting.You have to book in advance because these facilities are always occupied. And you can only do it on Sundays from 9 a.m to 6 p.m. It’s also very affordable as you will have to pay approx 200 Rs per session so anyone can live their dream of flying a plane without breaking their banks.
4. Try out the Tandoori ChaiYou might have tried the Tandoori Chicken but did you know that there is a Tandoori Chai (tea) as well? The Tandoori Chai is one of Pune’s specialty and it’s a must-do a thing as well.One of the best places to try out Pune’s Tandoori Chai is by the lanes of Kharadi right opposite the Zensar Building. The tea is made in the ‘kullhad’ which is a cup made of clay. The tandoori chai has a smokey flavor which makes it even better. It’s just cost around 20 Rs a cup and you can try it anytime.
5. Pataleshwar Cave TemplePataleshwar Cave Temple is one of the most popular as well as ancient landmarks in Pune that you need to visit. The temple was built around the 8th century and it’s standing strong which makes it one of kind and unique. Speaking of its architecture, the temple was carved out of single basalt rock and it’s dedicated to Lord Shiva.The locals celebrate the Shiva Linga puja here and it is very sacred to the locals and the believers of Shiva. One of the other reason why this temple has become one of the most popular and most talked about is it holds a grain of rice which has 5000 letters inscribed on it. Due to this reason, the temple has also made a Guinness World Records. The grain of rice is safely kept in the temple’s museum and this makes a good enough reason to visit the place while you are in Pune.
6. Sinhagad FortOne of the other forts that you would be visiting in Pune is the Sinhagad Fort which is also known as the lion fort. It’s not only popular for being an ancient fort, but people nowadays come to this place to trek and gaze at the spectacular view of the mountains and surroundings of the fort.The Singhad Fort has been said to build over 2000 years ago which makes it one of the most ancient for in India. The fort has witnessed a number of battles and it was treated as the military base for the Marathas.It will take about an hour and a half to hike to the top of the fort so it is advised that you should keep a water bottle and some food with you. You can also have a picnic here. You will also find the local street food at this fort and it’s going to be a well-spent time with your friends or with just with yourself for that matter.This is located 36 km from Pune and you will have to pay some kind of parking fee as well. And its visiting hours start from 5 am to 6 pm.
7. Dagadusheth Halwai Ganesha TempleDagadusheth Halawi Ganesh Temple is also one of the best places to visit in Pune. The temple was built by a sweet maker known as Dagadusheth Halwai in 1893, who built it to overcome the loss of his son. The temple is said to very beautiful and you might just call it to need the best Ganesha Temple in Pune in terms of its architecture and beautiful design.The idol of Ganesha is made up of 40 kilos of gold and every year there is a 10-day celebration for Ganesha to celebrate the Ganesha festival. You will be pleased to see this temple and you can also take part in many of its charitable activities.
8. Osho GardenOsho Garden is said to be the most scenic garden in Pune and it’s also very famous for being a picturesque garden in Pune. People find positive vibes here and they also consider it as one of the most peaceful places in the city.The garden has been designed according to the Japanese styles of layouts and it features lots of lush greenness, stone Bridges, wooden pathways, and a beautiful lake as well.The Osho Ashram is also located near the garden which is a popular center for mediation and offers spiritual peace for the people. Overall it’s a must-see the garden and the entrance is also free so you can spend some quality time here without being bothered by all the urban activities and noises.
If you are visiting Pune during the monsoon season then you must visit Lonavala as it’s one of the most popular places among the locals as well as tourists. It’s located in the middle of Mumbai and Pune and people just go there to spend some quality time with their friends or family.Although Lonavala is considered as a full-fledged destination where you would find many amazing places to visit and activities to do. If you are in Pune and have some time to kill we would suggest you take a road trip to Lonavala.
10. Seven Wonders theme parkSeven Wonders theme park is another popular destination that attracts the tourists and it is also counted as one of the best places to visit in Pune especially if you are going there with kids.It’s pretty obvious from the name of the park that you would find here the replicas of the seven wonders of the world which looks pretty amazing. There is also a 4D theater where you can watch different 4D shows.
11. Try out some baked stuff at German BakeryThe German bakery is one of the most popular bakeries in Pune that you would find. And if you are looking for a place where you can kill your sugar craving then that should be it!The bakery was founded in 1988 and it has been one of the best places to eat the sweet stuff in Pune since then. There is a variety of dishes available for you to try out.
12. Explore the Wildlife at Rajiv Gandhi Zoological ParkRajiv Gandhi Zoological Park is the best place to visit if you want to see some wildlife and feel closer to nature.The zoological park is divided into three parts, a zoo, a snake park, and an animal shelter. Here you can see some of the rare animals as well as some of the magnificent one’s that includes Asiatic lions, elephants, white tigers, sloth bear, barking deer, etc.In the same park, there are 160 species of snake including some of the rare species. And the zoo also features 42 acres of the lake which looks beautiful and gives you another reason to visit the zoo park.
13. Karla CavesOne of the other ancient architecture in the city that you need to visit in Pune is Karla Caves. The origin of these caves dates backs to 160 BC and these caves are a symbol of Buddhism in India.The caves are carved very beautifully and they are the sign of Buddhism in early Indian civilization and how they get spread over the years. The entry is free of cost which makes it even more ideal.
14. Go for Paragliding at KamshetIf you are feeling a little adventurous then don’t worry, Pune won’t disappoint you as among the many other activities to do in the city, Paragliding is one of them. It’s going to be a truly thrilling experience snd if you aren’t afraid of height you should definitely go for it.
15. Go to Parvati Hills for a breathtaking viewThe Parvati hills have become one of the best spots for a picnic and one of the best places to visit at the weekend to spend some quality time away from all the urban chaos. The presence of the lake and the fact that you can look at the whole city makes it one of the best place to visit in Pune.