An anesthesiologist plays an important role during the surgery. He is the one responsible for giving the patient anesthesia and monitoring the vital signs throughout the surgery or medical procedure. Being an anesthesiologist would require years of training and education and only then they can become a responsible anesthesiologist who would take care of patients on the ground level.
Let’s move ahead and find more about being an anesthesiologist and how one can become one as well.
Who is an Anesthesiologist?
This is perhaps the biggest question that you need to have an answer for before you pursue your career in this field.
An anesthesiologist is a medical doctor who has specialized in the field of anesthesiology. He will require a degree of either M.D or O.D to become an anesthesiologist. They would be trained to give the right amount of anesthesia and read the vital signs to monitor the patient while the surgery is being performed.
An anesthesiologist would work various types of anesthesia and the way it should be given to the patient according to their health. They will not only monitor the level of anesthesia but other important things such as blood pressure, sugar level, and so on. If there are any issues during this, then they would have to make sure the patients remain unaffected and they come up with another solution as well.
The role of an anesthesiologist would vary before the surgery, during the surgery, and after the surgery. So in a way, they play a great role in ensuring the good state of the patient during the entire surgery and even after and before it as well.
When it comes to the working environment for an anesthesiologist, it would be somewhat the same as a surgeon as they can be called on short notice while a patient is going through surgery.
On average, an anesthesiologist gets around $300k per year.
How To Become An Anesthesiologist
Now we are back to our original question and we are ready to tell you how you can become an anesthesiologist. Just like being a doctor, it too takes a lot of time and hard work to become an anesthesiologist so you better be prepared for the journey as soon as you pass school.Here are the following steps that would tell you how to become an anesthesiologist:
1. Get a Bachelor’s DegreeNow that you have passed your school, you must take science-related majors like biology, chemistry, and physics. Students must have a bachelor’s degree in these subjects to get medical training and pass through the medical entrance test as well for becoming an anesthesiologist.You should keep in mind that you have to perform well in your undergraduate and get high marks as well to get an easy entrance into a reputable medical college. Students should get a GPA ranging from 3.5 to 4 to enter a medical program.
2. Study and Pass the Medical Entrance ExamEach country has its own set of rules when it comes to taking admission to a medical college. Most of the time, it involves clearing a medical entrance exam to get admission to a medical college.You should start studying for the medical entrance exam before your graduation and make sure you are fully prepared for the exam and pass it with flying colors.
3. Graduate from Medical SchoolThe next step would be to get through medical school and get a graduation degree as well. There would be a 4-year program that you need to graduate from.This program would teach students to be prepared for residency and a whole career in anesthetics.
4. Get a LicenseNow that you have cleared your four-year program and graduated from a medical school, it is time that you get the license to finally being able to practice the anesthetics.The process of licensing may vary from one state to another, but it involves clearing an exam as well as an interview where interviewers would see if you are eligible to have a license for anesthetics.
5. Complete a Residency ProgramIt is mandatory that you go through a residency program to become a professional anesthesiologist.You would enter a four-year residency program after you have graduated from medical school. The residency would prepare you for working in an actual surgery and how to deal with patients and complications they face during surgery.The first year of your residency would involve basic medical rotation whereas the last three years would focus on the anesthesia training as well. Students can also choose a specialty during their residency years.
6. Become State LicensedThe next step would involve getting a license from the state where you want to practice anesthesiology. This would be only awarded to candidates who have completed all the aforementioned steps. Make sure you approach the board of medical and anesthesia of a state you want to work in.
7. Get CertificationNow that you have a license and you have completed your residency as well, it is finally time that you would get a certification from the medical board. The certification is important because without it, you may not be able to get a job at a place you want to work or your pay scale too can get affected as well.
ConclusionNow that we have come to the end of the article, all we have to say is that you can also become a successful anesthesiologist once you have decided to put all your efforts and hard work into it. This may not be easy but you can go through it with utmost dedication and hard work.Being an anesthesiologist means you would be a hero and save plenty of lives as well. It is a very responsible role in surgery so you should be proud of yourself to go through it. Apart from this, it is a good-paying job as well and you should do well after being an anesthesiologist.That would be all for now and we hope that you got everything you have been looking for. Thank you.