Delhi is not only the national capital of India but it’s a place that is so diverse in culture, religious beliefs, commercial activities and so much more. The place won’t let you down when it comes to having a great time exploring the historical places as well as trying out the best food!
Clearly, there is so much to do in Delhi that you will need to plan your whole trip so you don’t miss out on anything and explore the best places and try out the best food in Delhi. Even if you have taken the suggestions from your local friends or travel guides there are high chances that you are going to miss out on several important stuff in Delhi.
And that’s why we are here to help you out. In this article, we have picked up some of the best things to do in Delhi that you should not miss out on. Some of these places are cliche that you have already heard before but the other ones might be new to you. So go ahead and see what we have for you!
- 1 Things to do in Delhi
- 1.1 1. The Lotus Temple
- 1.2 2. Jama Masjid
- 1.3 3. Gurudwara Bangla Sahib
- 1.4 4. Jantar Mantar
- 1.5 5. Go to Paranthe Wali Gali for the street best food
- 1.6 6. Chandni Chowk
- 1.7 7. Akshardham Temple
- 1.8 8. Go For Boating at the Old Fort
- 1.9 9. Feroz Shah Kotla Fort
- 1.10 10. Dilli Haat
- 1.11 11. Red Fort
- 1.12 12. Visit Spice Market
- 1.13 13. Watch a street play
- 1.14 14. Hauz Khas Complex
- 1.15 15. Some other places to visit
- 1.16 Conclusion –
Things to do in Delhi
1. The Lotus TempleThe Lotus Temple has been marked as one of many landmarks of Delhi and it also comes under the list of the must-visit places for Delhi. The temple, as its name suggests is designed in the shape of a lotus flower and there are 27 petals constructed from the marble.The temple is dedicated to the Bahá’í faith but people from every religion worship at the temple. The Temple features a well-maintained garden at the entry which you would enjoy. Here you will have to silence your phone as the temple is a peaceful place and one of the reasons why people love to be here.
2. Jama MasjidThe Mughal empire rules Delhi for a long time and this is also seen in some of the historical buildings and religious institutes. Jama Masjid (mosque) is also a given of the Mughal empire. It’s one of the largest mosques in the city. The Jama Masjid was built in the 17th century by Shah Jahan!The mosque has multiple entries which all lead to the main worship deck. The mosque is surprisingly big enough to hold the capacity of 25,000 people at once. The minarets and the domes around the mosque look beautiful. Here you would find many restaurants where you can enjoy amazing food. The place is open for everyone but you will have to go cover up yourself from head to toe. Extra few for taking photos can be charged as well.
3. Gurudwara Bangla SahibGurudwara Bangla Sahib is another must-visit place in Delhi. This Sikh temple happens to be a place where you can not only explore the Sikh religion but also taste the best food at the langar! The langar (free lunch) is for everyone and people from every class and cast sit together and have a meal. The food is very delicious and you should definitely go there just to taste the food if not for the religious beliefs or exploration.The place is very calm and you won’t get any kind of disturbance or people demanding any money like at the other temples in Delhi.
4. Jantar MantarJanuary Mantar, again, one of the most popular places in Delhi that you should be visiting. Jantar Mantar also is known as the Maze Puzzle and it is located in central Delhi. The place was built during the reign of Muhammed Shah, but it was constructed by Maharaja Jai Sign II from Jaipur.This place is too used for astronomy purposes and people used to do a lot of observation from here. There are 14 different instruments present which are used for different purposes in figuring out Sun, Moon, planet cycle, and other astronomical measurements. The entry fee is 100INT so it’s pretty cheap to visit.
5. Go to Paranthe Wali Gali for the street best foodIf you want to taste the best Indian food then you must go to the Paranthe Wali Gali which is located in the popular Chandani Chowk. Here you would find some of the best paranthas (fried bread) and the recipes for these food runs from generation to generation.This place is always crowded and you might have to struggle a big but it’s going to be quite an experience to see all the people and the food. There is so much to eat and explore that you just can’t afford to miss it.
6. Chandni ChowkApart from the Paranthe Wali Gali, the Chandni Chowk offers so much to explore. This is can be called the moonlight street of Delhi and here people can get stuff at a very reasonable price as well.The Chandni Chowk is the oldest market in India and here people can get a rickshaw and explore some of the busiest places in the city. The rickshaw driver will also give you inputs and tell you about the best place to eat and shop. So it will be a memorable experience as well.
7. Akshardham TempleAkshardham Temple is a very important place to visit. You have to know that it’s not just a temple but a cultural hub that means that you would have so much to do and see here. The Akshardham Temple is the largest Hindu temple in the entire world and you would be just amazed by its architecture and modern facilities.The place features boat rides, water shows, and a lush garden among many other things. This place is said to be an architectural marvel as it’s very elaborated and attention is given to even the tiny details of the decor. The place feels like it’s perfectly built and one of the most beautiful places that you would ever see in your life.Although photography is strictly prohibited in the temple and you are not allowed to take anything inside the temple. But you will find a place where you can store your belongings before entering the temple (it’s free and secure). Overall this modern temple is worthy of your time and attention so do not miss this one at any cost.
8. Go For Boating at the Old FortIf you are in a pod for boating then Delhi has the perfect place for you. The Old Fort or Purana Quila is known to be the best place for boating and it is set amidst the ruins of the fort. It’s a pretty good place to go and have a chill with your friends and family and have a peaceful time as well. The construction of this fort was started by Sher Shah Suri and completed by Humayun. Over this place is great to chill and take beautiful photos.
9. Feroz Shah Kotla FortIf you want to experience something a little dramatic or we can say a haunted place then you should visit the Feroz Shah Kotla Fort. The fort was said to be founded by Feroz Shah Tughlaq in the early 14th century.The fort has said to be haunted by the spirit of Djinns, who was inhabiting this place. There are many stories about this place that seems to be horrifying and can give you the chills, the place is open to the tourists and guides also does a brilliant job by telling you all the spooky facts about the place.
10. Dilli HaatIf you wish to shop for some Indian handicrafts and that too avoiding the crowd then Dilli Haat should be on your list. Since you are in India and especially Delhi you must take something home that reminds you of the colorful and diverse culture of India and what can be better than handicrafts and souvenirs.Here you would also find some decent place to eat where you can find all the cuisines across the country. Its a very peaceful, clean, and safe place where you can easily shop and eat.
11. Red FortRed Fort is another well-known attraction of Delhi and its also a given of the Mughal Empire. Its also known as the Lal Quila which literally means Red Fort! The place is not far away from Chandni Chowk and you can easily take a rickshaw ride to go there.The Fort is closed on Mondays and remains open the other days of the week and you would have to pay a fee of 250INR. Once you get n entry you can walk around the fort and explore its architecture and mosques in the fort. It’s a pleasant experience as its very peaceful there.
12. Visit Spice MarketDelhi houses one of the largest spice markets in Asia and this makes it another amazing place to visit. If you are a chef or you have an interest in food then you would love this place. The first thing that would hit in the market is the smell of species and then you would be mesmerized with the colors.As we have said its one of the largest spice markets then you can expect like everything here and you would get the best variety too. Overall it would be an interesting place to explore.
13. Watch a street playOne of the most interesting things that you would see in Delhi is the street plays! Not everyone is into this kinda stuff now but if you give it a chance you would enjoy this street play.The street plays competitions held throughout the year which means you would get entertained here. Students from different colleges come and present a play and then talk about some sensitive issues as well. These plays must change the perception of people towards things like road safety, Clean India, and several other things.
14. Hauz Khas ComplexHauz Khas Complex too is an amazing place to have a great time. The place was built in the early 1300s and it consisted of a water tank that was supposed to rainwater and used in the summers. Although in the present day it’s much more than that, you will find public parks, some places to eat, and lots of students come here on daily basis to hang out with their friends.This place was not fully preserved but still, it is quite a landmark in Delhi so you might wanna hang out here too.
15. Some other places to visitLodi Garden- it’s kinda a public park with scattered tombs and its maintained quite well which makes it an amazing place to hang out.India Gate- you will come across India Gate eventually but if you don’t then do visit the place. It was built-in 1931 to pay tribute to the Indian Soldiers in wars.Qutub Minar- Qutub Minar kinda looks like the Leaning Tower of Pisa and very beautiful. It is 73 feet tall and was built a thousand years ago but still in very good shape to make a tourist attraction point.Laxmi Narayan Mandir- another Hindu temple that deserves your time in Delhi. The place is also known as Birla mandir and its kinda important because it was opened by Mahatma Gandhi himself. The architecture is great here and you would have a good time too.Humayun’s Tomb- last but not least, Humayun’s Tomb is also a must-visit place in Delhi. Its also listed as UNESCO World Heritage Site and its too good to be missed out on.
Conclusion –So these are the best places to visit in Delhi. We have made this article so that you can plan your trip to Delhi and have the best time there. Although there is so much to see and do that one trip might not be enough to see everything in Delhi but try to do as much as possible.We hope our article has helped you and now you know what to do and visit while you are in Delhi. Overall we hope that you have a great time in Delhi. Thank you for visiting our page and keep coming for more such articles in the future as well.