Everyone dreams of becoming a model when they are young but only a few are actually passionate about this career choice. These people are ready to become the next model and get all the fame and success with a career that they chose. But how to become a model? Perhaps the most asked questions by the aspiring models or the young people who are looking forward to becoming a model.
Before you go ahead and read all about how you can become a model, you need to be sure that you want to become one. There are many things that you need to know about becoming a model and what exactly you would do if you become a model.
Well, we are here to guide you with your aspirations and dreams. And today, our article is all about how you can become a model. So let’s move ahead and find what a model does and how you can become one as well.
What Does a Model Do?
A model is someone who uses their physical appearance to advertise a product and be the face of a product, and also help an artist to display their art as well. There are many areas and fields a model can work in, from working with a photographer to appearing in music videos or just simply walking the ramp. Models can also appear in advertisements as well. Artists often hire a model to display their art and work in front of the world. For example, a fashion designer would hire a model to wear his clothes and walk the ramp.
How much does a model make?
There is no fixed salary a model would make as it all depends on their popularity and the work they get. On an average a model makes $23.10 per hour. There is a high competition for female models too so their earning may vary depending on their reputation and the kind of model they are.
Is there an ideal size for models?
The size of a model would entirely depend on what kind of model they are. The size requirement and criteria differ from one kind of model to another.
There are different sizes of models running the runways nowadays, such as plus size models. Overall each area has different size requirements for the models so you need to be specific about what kind of model you want to be.
When can you start modeling?
The ideal age to start your career as a model is from 16 to 21. Although there are child models who start their career from 12 and there are adult or grown up models who still work at the age of 60. Again the age of the model would depend on their area of modeling.
Educational requirements for models?
Being a model doesn’t require any specific educational requirements, although you should have graduated from high school. English and mathematical skills would also help your modeling career as well.
Can models have tattoos or scars on their body?
It doesn’t matter if you have scars or tattoos on your body, you can still be a successful model. These can be edited during photoshoots or covered with makeup, if they need to be.
Now we are back to the original question and we are going to tell you how you can become a model as well. Just take a look at the following steps that you need to take to become a model.
- 1 What Does a Model Do?
- 2 How much does a model make?
- 3 How To Become A Model?
- 3.1 1. Start watching your physical appearance and health
- 3.2 2. Choose modeling area and what kind of model you want to become
- 3.3 3. Start Practicing at home
- 3.4 4. Build a Photograph Portfolio
- 3.5 5. Look for an Agent
- 3.6 6. Take Relevant Classes
- 3.7 7. Look for opportunities
- 3.8 8. Use your Social media
- 3.9 9. Be aware of the Scams
- 3.10 Conclusion
How To Become A Model?
1. Start watching your physical appearance and healthOne of the first steps that you need to take to become a model is to look after yourself and the way you look. You may not need to live on one slice of bread a day, but you should watch your weight and health. Being a model has a lot to do with your appearance. You need to be sure that you are taking care of yourself.Start eating healthy and start going to the gym at least 5 times a week. Make sure you are eating the right food according to your body’s needs. You can study the dieting and workout routines or you can hire a nutritionist and a gym trainer to help you with your physique.Apart from this, you would also need to take care of your skin and how it looks. Start following the skincare routines and make sure you are eating right for your skin. Always look well groomed, healthy, and classy.You can also look up to a fashion blog or take advice from the current supermodels on how to maintain your appearance and looks.
2. Choose modeling area and what kind of model you want to becomeThe next step that you need to take to become a model is to decide what kind of model you want to become. As we have said this earlier there are many areas which require a different type of model. You can choose what kind of model you want to be based on your physique, looks, and appearance.There are following type of modeling types that you can choose from:Plus Size Model: as its name suggests, this type of modeling requires models which are full and curvaceous. So if you have that kind of body type, you may as well become a plus size model.Runway Model: one of the most popular types of model is the runway model. It requires models that are small-breasted and have a height of 5’11 to 6’2.Print Model: these types of models should have a height of 5’7. The importance would be given to their face and personality.These are the common types of modeling, you can also choose from underwear modeling, alternate modeling and many more.
3. Start Practicing at homeNow that you have decided what kind of model you want to become and started looking after yourself, you may as well start practicing at home.Before you do that, you need to educate yourself about being a model and what it means. You have to know all the consequences, the responsibilities, and the environment you would face once you will become a model. Make sure you are aware of the long road that lies ahead of you and how you can become a model.To practice being a model, you may want to watch the videos of professional models and study the way they move and pose. You can also learn to walk in high heels at your home and become more comfortable in your heels as well.
4. Build a Photograph PortfolioPhotograph portfolios are one of the most important things in a model’s career. So you have to build a photographer portfolio for yourself.You can always hire a good photographer that fits your budget and have them taking your pictures. There should be full-body pictures as well as head shots and close-ups. Make sure you look amazing and wear clothes that compliment your body and makeup that suits your face. There should be photos in different poses and locations so that you can show your versatility as well.Your portfolio would be the first thing an agent would look for so you have to make sure you have a nice portfolio that catches their eyes.
5. Look for an AgentAn agent would be a big part of your modeling career that is why you need to make sure that you hire a good agent for yourself. You can certainly try getting clients on your own but it would be better if you have an agent for that as they would be more effective and would know what you need and require. They would be professional and would look after your career graph.You have to go to an agency that has agents for models. There you would have to take your portfolios and along with your body statics as well. The body statics would include your measurement, body type, shape, eye color, etc.If you don’t have a portfolio by a professional photographer then you can make your own portfolio with photos clicked by your friends. If the agency likes you, they would pay for your professional photographers.
6. Take Relevant ClassesThe next thing you need to do is to take relevant classes that would help you in your modeling career. There are many skills that a model should know. This includes acting or dance classes. These classes and skills would prepare an aspiring model and make them a professional one.You would also learn a lot about being a model and the industry as well. You will also learn about how to keep your body healthy and attractive. There are many things taught in these classes that would boost your confidence and make you feel more comfortable and confident.
7. Look for opportunitiesBeing a model is all about getting the opportunities and making most of them get noticed and seen. So always look for the opportunities that can get you noticed by potential clients. You can volunteer in local fashion shows and look for retail outlets that are looking for models. The local hair stylists and makeup artists also want your service to showcase their art and work.
8. Use your Social mediaOne of the other things that can play a big part in your modeling career would be your social media handle. There are many aspiring models that are using their social media accounts to make a mark and gain popularity. If you have enough followers and are getting popular, you will have a plus point on your part.Take this way of promoting yourself on the internet and becoming a part of the industry as well. So if you don’t have a professional social media handle, you should build one as well. Make sure you keep your account highly professional and give your contact details (may be your agent’s) in the account.
9. Be aware of the ScamsMany people may scam you and take advantage of you in the modeling industry. This is why you need to make sure that you are aware of your surroundings and only trust reputable sources and agencies. Do not believe the next guy who offers help in exchange for money. Make sure you make wise decisions and think it through.
ConclusionSo that is how you become a model. It is going to be a long journey and you have to struggle a lot too, but with hard work and dedication, you can become a model as well. Be confident and professional and always keep looking for opportunities so you will never miss anything and grow your career graph as well.That would be all and we hope that you got everything you have been looking for in our article. Thank you.