Last year the whole world has gone into lock-down and everyone was at their homes. Everything stopped, whether it’s going to a park or going to an office. But that doesn’t mean that people were vacationing in their homes. No everyone was working and they were doing their jobs, studying, and also seeking jobs all thanks to the internet. One of the things that got popular was the Zoom video calling app and thanks to it people were able to do their work and everything else they needed to do as well. One of the things was taking interviews for the jobs on Zoom.
Although people have liked the idea of Zoom Interview and many companies and industries have been taking the zoom interview ever since.
What is Zoom Interview?
It’s kind of like the regular interview but on the zoom. Zoom is a popular website for video calling and conferencing where people video calls remotely. The zoom website or app has various tools that can make the whole video conferencing thing easy and suitable for every party included, such as screen sharing, texting, video recording, and muting. Since it has become one of the most popular videos calling platforms during the pandemic, most of the companies do take virtual interviews on this platform.
Even though the interview has been shifted to online, it doesn’t mean that it is any less important. Although for some people, the zoom interview is a little more difficult than the in-person interview. People might not know how to tackle it either cause it’s new and not very familiar to the candidates.
So if you are struggling with Zoom Interviews then you are not the only one. There are a lot of people out there who are asking for tips for zoom interviews and here we are going to provide you that.
In the following article, we are going to share a few Zoom Interview Tips that may come in handy for you. So go ahead and read out the Zoom Interview Tips and be ready for your next interview.
- 1 What is Zoom Interview?
- 2 Zoom Interview Tips
- 2.1 1. Get Familiar with the Technology
- 2.2 2. Test the Equipment and Gadgets Before the Interview
- 2.3 3. Ask for the Meeting Link and Double Check the Date and Time
- 2.4 4. Find a Quiet Place for Interview
- 2.5 5. Be On Time
- 2.6 6. Avoid Any Virtual Distractions
- 2.7 7. Prepare Answers to the Most Common Interview Questions
- 2.8 8. Choose the Right Outfit
- 2.9 9. Speak Confidently, Clearly, and Slowly
- 2.10 10. Watch Your Body Language
- 2.11 11. Write Down the Questions to Ask Them
- 2.12 12. Charge Your Laptop and Find a Good Internet Connection
- 2.13 13. See for the Perfect Background and Lighting
- 2.14 14. Use the Mute Button
- 2.15 15. Look Into the Camera
- 2.16 Conclusion
Zoom Interview Tips
1. Get Familiar with the TechnologyYou must know what you are dealing with if your career depends on it. Since it’s (Zoom) is new, not many people are aware of the technology.The first thing you need to do is to download the zoom app on your mobile or computer from its official website. You should do it days before your interview so you get to know what you will be dealing with. Just use the app for a few days until you get a hang of it and knows everything about the app.
2. Test the Equipment and Gadgets Before the InterviewTest whether everything is working fine or not. You should test the microphone or webcam and see how they work and if they are working fine. You should make sure you know how to use these things and that everything is fine. This would help you avoid unnecessary last-minute stress and your interview would go smoothly as well without any interruptions.
3. Ask for the Meeting Link and Double Check the Date and TimeAlthough they would provide you the meeting link access code before your interview, in case if they haven’t already done that then you should ask them otherwise you would struggle last minute and cause unnecessary panic to yourself or you may miss the interview as well.It would also be helpful if you double-check the time and date for the interview to avoid any misunderstandings. You should also double-check the time difference if they are from another part of the world.
4. Find a Quiet Place for InterviewFinding a quiet place is one of the most important things that you have to do before your interview. If you live with your family or with someone, then you gotta seek a place where won’t get distracted. You should also ask your roommate or family members to give you space during your interview.Even if you live alone, still you gotta find a place where you can be somewhere quieter, that is no unnecessary sounds of anything.All you have to do is to keep yourself away from any kind of distraction because you can’t afford any of them during the interview. You need to focus on the questions that you have been asked and your interviewer needs to focus on the answers and that’s the only way a zoom interview can go successfully. You need to be fully focused during the entire zoom interview.
5. Be On TimeBeing on time is a generic thing for any professional meetings and especially the interviews. You can’t afford to be late for your interview because that would make a really bad impression on you. So make sure you have done everything that needs to be done before your zoom interview and you have cleared your schedule at the time of the zoom interview.However, you can’t be early either. See it’s not like the walk-in interview, where you would be asked to sit in the lobby and wait for your turn. When you will enter the “room” that is the link you would be provided, you should be the only one. Since it’s a job interview, you might not be the only one they are interviewing so you may enter the chat room while someone else is taking the interview and this would be super awkward.So sit tight and enter the link and enter the room at the exact time you have been asked to.
6. Avoid Any Virtual DistractionsThis one is a pretty important tip. See we know you are taking the interview online so you can’t really escape the world around you but you do need to make sure that you don’t get any virtual distractions. These include any calls, messages, or notifications. Turn off the notifications and turn off your phone if you are not taking the interview on your phone. Otherwise, you might get a call or a few messages which would be proven distracting in the middle of the interview.
7. Prepare Answers to the Most Common Interview QuestionsYou do need to prepare for the Zoom Interview as you would prepare for any other jobs. This also includes listing down the most commonly asked interview questions. So do find them and prepare for them. Because you can at least be ready with the answers to the most asked questions in interviews.Search for the most commonly asked questions ( and for the job you are interviewing for) in general on google and be ready for their answers as well.
8. Choose the Right OutfitMake sure you are properly dressed for the zoom interview. Just because you are giving your interview online from the comfort of your home that doesn’t mean you don’t have to dress up professionally.Make sure you pick up the appropriate outfit for the interview (which would wear to an actual interview). You should also make sure you are well-groomed. Accessories too count in the outfit part. This would make you look good and you would look like a professional and someone who is taking this interview seriously.
9. Speak Confidently, Clearly, and SlowlyHow you speak has a lot of impact on the interviewers. Since its online interviews, some might speak abnormally thinking that the other person might not hear them clearly. So do make sure that you are speaking clearly and slowly instead of speaking fast and in an abnormal manner.Record your own voice and see how well you speak or sound which would let you know how much you need to work on. Work on your speaking skills if you need to and make sure you sound clear, polite, and confident during the interview.
10. Watch Your Body LanguageYour Body Language is as important as it would be in any walk-in-interview. Yes, the interviewers would still be watching your body language and see if you are confident enough.Sit straight and make sure you make eye contact with the interviewer while he is talking to your questions and you are answering them. Don’t lose eye contact. Your posture should be perfect too. Find a comfortable chair and place your laptop or phone at the right angle as well so they can see you properly.
11. Write Down the Questions to Ask ThemThis is one of the most important things you need to focus on. See almost all the interviewers would ask you if you have any questions for them. It would seem right if you do have some questions for them because that would mean you are interested in the job.So think about what you can ask them and write down all the questions that you need to ask them to make sure this is the right job for you.You should also ask them to repeat the question if you have a problem hearing or understanding the question in the first place.
12. Charge Your Laptop and Find a Good Internet ConnectionThis is also important that you fully charge your phone or laptop before the interview so it won’t shut down in the middle of the interview.Secondly, to ensure good streaming you should connect to a fast and reliable internet connection because you don’t want a frozen screen or interpreted voices during the interview.
13. See for the Perfect Background and LightingThe lighting and background do play an important role in the online interviews. You have to make sure that your background is professional looking that is you can sit just anywhere. Your background has to be neat and tidy. A blank wall or a well-organized background would do the job.You should also sit in good lighting because your interviewers do wanna see you and not just a human figure.
14. Use the Mute ButtonUsing the mute button can be quite helpful when the other person is speaking for too long. This would make sure that they can’t hear anything on your end and this would allow them to speak clearly without any distractions.
15. Look Into the CameraThis one perhaps the most important tip for the zoom interview. No matter who is speaking and what’s going on, you need to look in the camera and pay your full attention to the screen. Don’t be distracted and look somewhere else, cause this can seriously jeopardize your chances of getting that job.
ConclusionSo these are some of the best Zoom Interview Tips that you can get. There is nothing to worry about the zoom interview and you will do fine. Just have a little faith in yourself and be confident. We hope these zoom interview tips were helpful for you and you will do your best in your next zoom interview.