It’s no secret that reading is important and it has many benefits as well! But why is reading so important? That’s what we are going to talk about in this article.
As you know almost all the successful people in the workplace have confessed that reading helps them and in many ways. There is no single benefit of reading so here we have listed all the benefits of reading in the article. So go ahead and find out what’s so special about reading and why people say that reading is important!
- 1 Importance of reading
- 1.1 1. You will be able to discover yourself!
- 1.2 2. Knowledge
- 1.3 3. Reading will help you improve your concentration and ability to focus
- 1.4 4. Reading will also improve your emotional health
- 1.5 5. It reduces stress
- 1.6 6. It will help you to improve your memory as well
- 1.7 7. Books give you motivation
- 1.8 8. Stronger Analytical and Thinking Skills
- 1.9 9. Reading improved your imagination skills and enhance your creative skills as well
- 1.10 10. Improves vocabulary
- 1.11 11. Reading also improve the writing skills
- 1.12 12. You will become more empathic
- 1.13 13. Reading books will help your brain to function better
- 1.14 14. It helps your fight loneliness and depression
- 1.15 15. Books are fun too!
- 1.16 16. It makes you a better person
Importance of reading
1. You will be able to discover yourself!Books are just for expanding your knowledge about the world but it is there for expanding your knowledge about yourself as well. And of the reasons you should start to read is that reading helps you discover yourself.When you read a book, you find yourself in a different place and you are more present than ever. You find yourself consumed with the events that the author is trying to present and the emotions and characters somehow relatable to you as well. You will find yourself reacting to particular things happening in the book and you will know better about yourself as well.You might also find more about your likes and dislikes and there is so much more to explore as well. And sometimes you might find the answers to some of the most complicated questions as well.
2. KnowledgeWell that’s an obvious benefit of reading, isn’t it? The more you read the more knowledge you gain. With every book, you find something new and it fills your brain with new experience and new knowledge as well.And it’s not about the academic books alone, the books such as The Alchemist, can help you gain a lot of knowledge about life and expand your understanding about life.
3. Reading will help you improve your concentration and ability to focusIt’s scientifically proven that the more you read the more focused you become. In today’s world, it is so hard to stay focused and concentrate on one thing by limiting all the distractions around us. But if you pay attention and read regularly you might be able to focus better.If you read daily and make it your daily habit then your concentration power will improve significantly.
4. Reading will also improve your emotional healthReading is no less than therapy for some people out there and that’s because when you start reading daily, your emotional health too improves.Books help with dealing with the emotions as they are full of emotions. Every book deals with a different set of emotions which makes us aware of our emotional health. And as we have mentioned before, reading books can get you a lot of answers and that includes the answers for your emotional state too. You will wonder how great impact a book will have on your emotional health once you start reading it daily.Apart from this, with each book as well feel different kinds of emotions, we grow emotionally as well.
5. It reduces stressBooks can also help you to reduce your stress. We are aware of the kind of stress an average human has to face in his daily lives. There are a lot of things that might find stressful. But if you find a good book and read it for like 20 minutes before going to sleep, the book can have a lot of positive impact on you and your stress will be reduced significantly. This is because you would be fully engaged in the book and your mind will forget the stress for a while so it would be a great escape from all your worries for a while. And it would also help you sleep better at night as well.
6. It will help you to improve your memory as wellThe more you read more will be your memory power. The thing is, when we read a book there would be hundreds of things that we have to remember including the characters, their backgrounds, some events that affected the characters in the past, plots, subplots, conversations etc.These are like the key information that we have to keep in our mind and the best part is we do remember all these things without even making an effort and that’s the result of your improved memory power! And as you read more and more books, your ability to memories will also significantly improve. So you can take it as a memory training exercise for your brain!
7. Books give you motivationOne of the most important things about reading books is that they keep us motivated. No matter what struggles we are facing in our life and no matter how demotivated we feel but if you have a good motivational book by your side, you will have a belief that everything will be fine.So it’s like the books would give us the little push that we need when we find ourselves lost and can’t focus on anything at all. And that’s why experts suggest reading books when people want to get motivated in their lives.
8. Stronger Analytical and Thinking SkillsReading mystery or thriller novels said to improve or analytical and thinking skills as well. When you read a good mystery or a thriller book you often find yourself collecting clues through the books and you might even solve the mystery before it’s even finished! And that’s the sign of stronger analytical and thinking skills!The more you read such books the more you improve your thinking and analytical abilities. So if you do wanna improve these skills then just grab a good mystery/detective/thriller genre book.
9. Reading improved your imagination skills and enhance your creative skills as wellWhen we read a book, we follow up with the characters and the events that are happening in the book, we create a picture of how the character would like, how the place would look like, or how the character would react to a particular scenario. It’s like a movie is running in our head and we are the director of that movie.Each book required us to be more and more creative and have an imagination about the events that are happening in the book. And this way we also enhance our interpretation skills. These skills are definitely useful and reading books can significantly improve them!
10. Improves vocabularyThis one is also a popular benefit of reading a book. See the thing is each book contains hundreds of words that we may not have heard before and since we read the book we kinda wanna look into the meaning of the words. And how you expand your vocabulary as well. You will learn new words and slangs with each book which might help you in your daily life as well.
11. Reading also improve the writing skillsWhen we read a lot of books we find out the basics about the writing and some rules about how to write which may not be aware of. With expanded vocabulary and the use of good slangs and phrases with the understanding of writing, we tend to learn more and more.Even if you have good writing skills, reading books would help you to become better and better as you will be included in the writing style of the author.
12. You will become more empathicPeople say showing empathy for others makes you a better person and what better way to become empathic than putting yourself in the shoes of characters that you read in your books, right? When we read a book we come across like so many characters and the author of the book makes us feel every one of them and we somehow learn to put ourselves in the places of other people and learn to understand their perspective. And this ability is what we call empathy and it’s one of the personality traits we should have too.
13. Reading books will help your brain to function betterWith so much going on in a book, we just bury ourselves completely in the book. And as we have mentioned earlier there are a lot of functions required by our brain to read a book, such as reading, imagination, memorizing, being creative, and so on. And collectively all these skills make our brain function better. So yeah reading a book would definitely help your brain to function better.
14. It helps your fight loneliness and depressionEven though we are constantly surrounded by a lot of people, we often find ourselves lonely and this leads to depressed feelings, but reading can also help you to fight your depression and loneliness too.Have you ever heard the phrase, Books are your best friend? Well, it’s definitely true. Sometimes we just need to find a good book that can be our companion through tough times.
15. Books are fun too!This one is a little known fact (for the people who don’t read!) But books are fun too and they are even better than a movie or a tv series. Ask anyone who has watched a movie based on a book which he/she has read and they will have only one thing to say- the book was better than the movie!So if you are looking for a source of entertainment than you should definitely try out the books! And luckily we have so many great authors who write about different types of genres, so there is a great chance that you will a good book about your perfect genre.How about reading the book that inspired Game of Thrones? Think about how much fun it will be!!
16. It makes you a better personLast but not least, reading books definitely makes you a better person. When we read daily and include books that are full of knowledge and experiences then we learn so much about life and we find a new perspective as well. Sometimes we get the answers from the books and other times the books make us question the reality, either way, it helps us to grow as a person.
So here we have come to an end for our article Importance of Reading!
We have tried to list out each and every benefit of reading and why it is so important. And we hope you now have a clear idea of why should start reading as well.
So this article is fully dedicated to all those people who are finding a reason to read and explore what wonders reading can do. We hope we have encouraged you enough to pick up a good book to read and make reading a daily habit as well.
So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and find the best books to read!