Real Estate is one of the biggest industries that we have right now. So being a part of it in any way can be considered as profitable. And since you have decided to become a real estate agent, you have already chosen a nice career path for yourself.
There are a number of benefits of becoming a real estate agent and the first one would be a great pay. Apart from this, getting into a real estate agent is quite easy comparing to entering into other fields, although you still have to work hard here as well. There is an inexpensive cost and you don’t need a college degree to become a real estate broker.
Although becoming a real estate agent isn’t as easy as you might think. It’s not like you can just call yourself a real estate agent and you will become one. Instead, there are a number of things that you should know about and work on in order to be real estate agents. There are also some rules and regulations as well as the licensing process for becoming a real estate process.
And in this article, we are going to tell you how you can become a real estate agent and if there is anything you should know before becoming a real estate agent. So let’s not waste anymore of your time and start our article, How to become a real estate agent!
Also check – How to start real estate business / Questions to ask realtor
How To Be A Real Estate Agent
1. Find out what are the requirements for your state to become a real estate agentSee the thing is, you may not need any college degree or any academic qualification but there are some qualifications that you must be aware of. You should also know that there is no “universal qualification or requirements” to become a real estate agent and it very from one state to another.So in order to get the license for a real estate agent, you should be aware of the requirements to become a real estate agent. To find out what requirements you should have by visiting the regulatory office website or visiting the real estate license law office.Every state’s requirements will include the following criteria:-
- Application fee and process
- Background check
- Educational requirements
- Exam eligibility
- Pre-licensing requirements
- Post licensing requirements
- Record of your criminal historyalthough these are the common requirements which you can expect so you should definitely search all the requirements so that you will be prepared to apply for the licensing process and you will know if you are a fit for becoming a real estate agent.
2. Select a pre-licensing schoolSelecting a pre-licensing school is also a crucial step in order to become a real estate agent. You will have to fro through many schools and find the best one for yourself. You have to choose which meets the requirements of your state and offers the pre-licensing coursework specific to your state. The learning material and the instructor should be your priority while choosing the Pre-licensing school.
3. Take up a pre-licensing courseNow that you have chosen the pre-licensing school you will have to take take the course as well (yeah it’s obvious). But you have to understand that there are a number of courses which vary in the number of classes as well as the time period. Although this variation is also seen according to the states.The courses are also available as the online courses, as well as the classroom courses, do you can choose any one of them as per your preferences. Apart from the few for the sources also vary from one course to another. So here you also need to take a good look as well. You should also consider the learning style and schedule for the courses. So these are the things that you should consider while choosing a pre-licensing course for yourself.
4. The pre-licensing examAfter completing the pre-licensing exam you would be ready to take up the pre-licensing exam. Your instructor will anyway give you the specifics about the exam and how to prepare for the exam.Although don’t take the pre-licensing exam lightly as this is a crucial step in getting the license as well as becoming a real estate agent. You will have to study for the exam and if you need more help you can enroll for pre lining exam prep program as well.The exam will be in two parts one will be consisting of national principles for real estate and others will be on the state-specific principles and laws for the real estate. The exam comes in the multiple-choice format. Each section will be scored separately and you must get the passing marks in each one of them.Every state has different regulations and rules when it comes to the number of attempts, so take a look at that too. Overall if do pass the exam then you will have to submit an application with all the required documents and fee to your real estate agency. And if your license is approved then you will receive a mail from the agency with your license certificate.
5. Realtor vs. Real Estate agentMany people think that a real estate agent and a realtor is the same thing but it’s not true at all. There is a difference between these two terms. Although the license is necessary to become both a real estate agent and a realtor, both do vary in terms of their work.See a realtor is a much bigger entity as a realtor will be a member of the National Association of Realtors(NAR) who represents the 1.3 million salesperson, brokers, property managers, counselors, etc. Realtors also have access to many benefits such as the real estate market, the statics, and research, data, discount programs, etc which will help. you to become successful.
6. Join a Real Estate BrokerageIn order to become a real estate agent, you will have to join a Real Estate Brokerage. The Real Estate Brokerage is kinda like the supervision for a real estate agent. As you will work under them and they will oversee whether or not you are working by the required legal and ethical standards. You will be paid on the basis of the commission they get from your real estate transactions.There will be other expenses as well which needs yo be paid by you like the desk fee, tech fee, etc, although it depends on the arrangement you have with your brokerage. You might have yo renew your license, and paying for the education continuation and other membership fees.
7. Complete the post-license courseworkOnly a number of has this requirement so if you come under that state you might have to complete the coursework for post-licensing within 6 to 12 months. This is a crucial part so be aware of this process as well.
8. Start your real estate agent careerNow that you have everything you need, this is the time for some action. Start exploring the opportunities and interact with potential buyers and sellers. Let everyone know that you are in this business so that your buyers and sellers come in your contact as well.
Conclusion –And here we come to an end for the article and we have listed everything that you needed to know about becoming a real estate agent. Although it’s an easy process still pay attention to the small details and do your homework before putting your feet in the industry.You have to keep in mind that the process of becoming a real estate agent might vary from state to state but this was a basic guideline for becoming a real estate agent. We hope you found the article helpful and we wish you luck with your new journey in the real estate industry.