It is a big thing to officiate a wedding. It is a big responsibility to perform a wedding, and if you have been asked to perform a wedding, you must be an important performer to the husband and wife. This makes this more crucial and important for you, so you don’t want anything to tollbooth wrong.
If you were to perform a wedding you must be working on your lines that you would have to say at the wedding. But the most important thing you have to do before the D-day would be to become an officiant. After all, it’s not like anybody can perform a wedding. It’s a sacred act and it requires us to follow some rules and regulations. This is why it won’t be legal if you performed the wedding without getting authorization.
Luckily, becoming an officiant isn’t that big of a deal and it is not even that hard either, all you have to do is to follow a few rules and fill some forms and viola! You would become an officiant before you know it.
Let’s just not waste anymore of your time and take a look at the following steps that would make you an officiant.
How To Become An Officiant
1. Start with ResearchThe first thing you need to do to become an officiant is to do an extensive research for the role and the importance of an officiant. This is to understand the gravity of seriousness of this role that you have been asked to play at someone’s wedding.You should know that it is a legal act and you can’t do it without being authorized by the state. You should also know that every state has different rules and regulations to become an officiant so you need to carefully analyze yours. You need to do so by getting permission from a legitimate organization which would be recognized in fifty states.There are a few things that you need to consider before choosing an organization to get ordained:
- Is the church/organization founded upon principles with which you agree?
- Is the organization transparent about how they operate?
- Is the organization recognized in the state where you are performing marriage?You can also call the town hall country clerk to get more information on this subject and you can also ask their permission to get ordained instead of going online.
2. Submit your applicationThe next thing you need to do after you have done your research and found the organization to get ordained online is to fill out the form and submit your application.Make sure you carefully fill out the form and read out all the necessary requirements and policies before signing it. It is an important step and you need to do it carefully.After you have submitted your form, you would receive an acceptance letter from the organization and you would be officially ordained to perform a wedding.
3. Register with the State if RequiredEven though you have registered online or got the acceptance letter as well. You should also consider registering with the state if required. Some states or countries may not accept the online ordinance and that’s what you need to be careful about.Make sure you have registered with a government office before the ceremony. This would require you to give credentials and specific documentation. This would be helpful for you and safer as well.
4. Learn How to Officiate a WeddingNow that you have become an officiant, you must learn how to officiate a wedding. You don’t want any blunders or the wrong words coming out of your mouth either.That is why it would be helpful if you just practice how to officiate the wedding and be perfect on the wedding day.
A Few Tips:Now that you have learnt how to become an officiant, we think you can do with some tips as well. We can assume that this is the first time you are officiating a wedding and you can use a few pointers before performing the actual wedding.
- Ask the Couple What you Should Wear: What you wear at the wedding means a lot. Afterall, you don’t want to go there in your worst attire and ruin the photos and videos of the wedding as well as the memories for the couple. That is why, it would be smart if you just take the opinion of the couple of what you would be wearing at the wedding.
- Take some time: You can’t just go up there and be all ready to perform a wedding. We are reiterating the fact that you should take your time to perform the wedding and make sure you have considered the best way to perform the wedding. Bring your A game and perform the wedding to make the couple’s day special.
- Keep it simple and elegant: Don’t be too much. If the couple has asked you to do this then you must be a close person to them, so it would be more likely to get carried away and get overjoyed or overwhelmed. Just remember what you need to do and why you are here. Perform that duty elegantly and simply.
- Shake off the nervousness: If you are getting nervous before the big day, then it is quite normal. But you need to be relaxed and calm. You may as well talk to the couple about it as well. It’s not that big of a deal, but if you think you are unable to do it, just be honest about it as well.
Conclusion:So that’s how you become an officiant. It is not that hard, is it? Well now that you know how to become an officiant, we would recommend you to go forward and follow the aforementioned steps to become an officiant and have the honor to perform a wedding.That would be all for now and we hope that you found everything that you were looking for. Thank you for being here and keep coming for more such articles in the future as well.