Dogs are one of the most beloved animals that we have. Everybody loves dogs and would like to have a dog as their pet as well. But people also want their dog from a fine breed and a healthy one too. That’s where the dog breeder comes in pictures.
The job of a dog breeder is to train a dog and make sure it stays healthy and happy. The job of a good dog breeder also involves finding good and reliable owners for the dog they breed. There is so much responsibility of being a dog breeder.
That is why people want to become dog breeders, some do it because they love dogs and are passionate about them as well, others because they want to make it a successful business and they love dogs too! If you also want to be a dog breeder then this article is for you.
You should know that becoming a dog breeder is not an easy job, you will have to spend almost all your time taking care of dogs, which includes taking them to vet doctors, training them, and making sure they are healthy and active.
Here, we have made a comprehensive guide on how you can become a dog breeder, so let’s move ahead and take a look at the following article.
- 1 How To Become A Dog Breeder
- 1.1 1. Research
- 1.2 2. Choose the Breed You Will Specialize in
- 1.3 3. Create a Business Plan
- 1.4 4. Find a Trusted Veterinarian
- 1.5 5. Acquire Permits and Licenses
- 1.6 6. Choose Registered Dogs
- 1.7 7. Choose an Ideal Place to Breed and Raise Them
- 1.8 8. Keep the Place Clean and Safe
- 1.9 9. Acquire All the Necessary Supplies
- 1.10 10. Take Care of the Accounts and Books
- 1.11 11. Research the Best Practice to Breed the Dogs
- 1.12 12. Find the Responsible Buyers Before the Birth
- 1.13 13. Be Honest
- 1.14 14. Market your business
- 1.15 Conclusion:
How To Become A Dog Breeder
1. ResearchNo matter what you want to do in your life and which profession you want to choose. The first thing you need to do is to do research. There are a lot of things that you will need to decide and choose before you start investing your time and efforts into that profession.Make sure you know everything that you need to know about being a dog breeder, what kind of business it would be, what kind of complications you can face, how will you plan the whole thing and what can you expect from being a dog breeder as well. So make sure you do a quick research and make sure that it is really what you want.
2. Choose the Breed You Will Specialize inYou may think it would be most profitable if you work with every breed of dog or even multiple breeds at a time. But that is not the case. What you need to understand is, it is better to focus on one breed or even two if you can and specialize in that breed instead of getting all mixed up with multiple breeds.So the first thing you need to do to become a dog breeder is to decide which breed you want to specialize in.After you have chosen the breed, you will need to do extensive research on that breed. Here you would need to know everything about this particular breed. What kind of environment they like, how they grow, their anatomy and morphology, the specific needs (habitat and medical), etc. You should also study their personalities as well.These are a few things that you would be focusing on after you have decided on the breed of dog.
3. Create a Business PlanOnce you have decided what exactly you want to specialize in, you will need to put your efforts to shape your business as well.To create a business plan, you need to know the laws about the breeding business in your local area. Here you should know what you will require to start a dog breeding business. That includes the special permissions, licenses, requirements, expenses, etc.You may want to know everything that would help you shape the business and earn profit as well. You should also study the market and how things work for dog breeders and what customers are looking for as well.
4. Find a Trusted VeterinarianIf you are working with dogs, you need to ensure good health for your dogs as well. To keep them healthy and fit, you need to take them to the vet, multiple times. This will require a good veterinarian.You don’t want to go to a different kind of vet. This is why you need to find a good veterinarian that you can rely upon and trust as well.Don’t choose convenience over quality care and a good vet. This is why you need to research all the good veterinarians your city or your town has. Make sure you go through their background, check their professional achievements, how they work, how good they are, and also their educational qualifications as well. You may as well ask questions before choosing a veterinarian for your dogs.
5. Acquire Permits and LicensesThe next thing you need to do to start your business is to get the necessary permits and licenses. This is a crucial part of any business, as every business needs some permits and licenses as regulated by the state or country that you are living in.So make sure you know what kind of permits and licenses you will need to start the fog breeding business and you also get those permits and licenses as well.
6. Choose Registered DogsOne of the other things that you need to take care of is to choose the dogs to breed. But you can’t just choose any breed that you find. Here you will need to choose the registered dogs only.Make sure you choose healthy and purebred dogs to start your dog breeding business. Because if you choose otherwise you may lose authenticity and people may not be interested in those dogs as well.Ensure the dogs are registered and have cleared all kinds of medical exams as well. Get a copy of the medical and registration check-up.
7. Choose an Ideal Place to Breed and Raise ThemSince you would be working with dogs, you must have the right kind of place to breed and raise them.First of all the dogs would need a good enough space that should be adequate in size and area wise. Secondly, the dog would need an ideal environment to grow and breed. Make sure the place you have chosen has the ideal temperature which is comfortable as well as safe for them.Apart from that, there should be enough space for the dogs to exercise and be active. So you need to look for a good space that meets all these requirements.To ensure the safety of your dogs, the area should be fenced to prevent them from escaping. Make sure the area should have grass and soil, after all, it can’t be a cemented floor.If you don’t have such a space, then you may as well rent or buy a space that meets all these requirements.
8. Keep the Place Clean and SafeAgain, the place should be clean to ensure the safety of the dogs. You need to round up regular checkups and maintain the space.This includes eliminating the dog waste, cleaning their toys, and other stuff which is present in the area.Regularly inspect the area and make sure there are no hidden fences, toxic plants, sharp objects, or anything that can harm the dogs in any way. There should be adequate lighting and ventilation as well.
9. Acquire All the Necessary SuppliesThe dogs have needs! And it is your job that you fulfill those needs and make sure they have everything they need.There would be certain supplies that a dog would need. This includes high-quality food, a source of fresh and clean water, toys to make the puppy and dogs happy and active, and grooming supplies.The supplies should be of high quality and from a trusted brand or source.Make a list of all the supplies that you will need for breeding and raising the dogs.
10. Take Care of the Accounts and BooksWhen you are doing business, you simply can’t ignore the books and accounts. So you need to make it your priority as well.Make sure you have a separate account for the business and you know where your money is going or coming from. Make sure you do your books now and then so that you don’t miss out on an important payment.Take care of all the receipts of supplies, purchases, selling, and stuff. Create invoices for these transactions as well.
11. Research the Best Practice to Breed the DogsThere is no one way to breed the dogs, and you should be well aware of this by now. So to come up with the best breeding practice, you will need to come up with the breeding practice that is ideal for you as well as the dogs you are breeding.Get familiar with the breeding practice and get all the knowledge and experience for dog breeding. It is important that you understand the breeding practices and choosing the best one.
12. Find the Responsible Buyers Before the BirthYou don’t want to wait until the pup is born to find the buyers. Because this would take a while and you may as well lose potential buyers in that time.You may want to line up the buyers before the birth and get all things done before the puppy is born. This would be ideal for you, pups, and the buyer.Although you should know that the puppies can’t be separated from their mothers before the age of 8 weeks. In the meantime, the buyers can also do the necessary paperwork and get assurance as well.Just try to spread the word that a puppy is on the way and available for sale. This can help you a lot.
13. Be HonestDon’t hide anything from the buyer. If there are any issues or anything that a buyer should know about the puppy then it should be your duty to tell them everything before they make the purchase.Not only a buyer needs to know everything about a puppy, but it is also your moral duty that you tell them everything without keeping anything or twisting the facts.Not only would it be morally wrong but would also create a bad reputation for your business which will lead to a loss for your business.
14. Market your businessOne of the crucial steps for any business would be marketing. The potential customers should be able to know about your business.For that, the first thing you need to do is to create a website for your business. The website business should have all the contact details along with the details and information about your business facilities and services.You can also join clubs, tell your friends and family members to spread the word, advertise in local newspapers and media, etc. Amid all this, don’t forget to use the social media platform to spread the word about your business and reach the right customers as well.
Conclusion:So that is how you can become a dog breeder. There are a number of things that you will have to work on and you will also have to commit yourself fully to this job as well. It may seem hard, but you should know that you can do this if you are committed to this.Here we have given you everything that you needed to know about becoming a dog breeder. Hope you like our article and know what to do next to become a good dog breeder and start your business. Thank you.