We are in an era where we live our lives in a fast format. Everyone is rushing nowadays and everyone struggles to manage their time. There is so much stuff that you will have to handle such as your work, studies, social life, etc. And in between them you will also have to manage the basic necessities of life like the food. We tend to neglect the importance of good food in our life which is rich in nutrition and go for a bowl of noodles because it requires less effort!! We are pretty sure that you understand how important it is to consume good food!
The struggle for cooking food for ourselves has come real and especially for those who just started to live on their own. You might learn to manage all the things and also learn to cook food in the future but about now? I am sure you know the answer to this question- the prepped meal services. These services are no less than a blessing for young people who don’t have time to cook healthy food for themselves.
To sum up our above-mentioned scenarios, we can say that there is a pretty great scope for a meal prep business and you should totally go for it. Although you might need some help in starting the meal prep business and that’s why we are here! In this guide, we are going to tell you steps through which you can start your meal prep business and succeed at it! So let’s move ahead and start our guide for how to start a meal prep business.
- 1 How to start meal prep business
- 1.1 1. Plan your business
- 1.2 2. Pick a niche
- 1.3 3. Decide who will be your targeted customers and what will you provide
- 1.4 4. Estimate the operational costs and ongoing costs.
- 1.5 5. Figure out the delivery system
- 1.6 6. Figure out the charges for your prepped meal
- 1.7 7. Register your business
- 1.8 8. Get the license and permits
- 1.9 9. Get insurance
- 1.10 10. Promote your business and get the client’s
How to start meal prep business
1. Plan your business
- The very first step that needs to be taken regardless of what type of business you are doing. When you sit and make a plan for your business, even if it’s rough and consists of just the outlines it would be a big help for your business. You will learn many prospects of a meal prep business and you will know the potential hurdles which you can face during the business.
- It’s will eliminate the risk of getting anxious when an obstacle comes in front of you because you have already thought it through. Our guide will tell you what you need to plan but you can also add your inputs and see how you can work them out.
2. Pick a niche
- You will have to choose a niche so you have a clear idea in your head about the potential customers as well the business requirements and you can actually do some productive work in order to perfect your products and services.
- See there are numerous “types” of a meal prep business and you have to consider the service you will be provided via your business. There is some meal prep business that delivers the uncooked meal that is, with all the ingredients and a recipe. It’s like a meal kit and the customers can prepare the food by themselves and have fresh food.
- The second option is the traditional cooked food delivery. Here you do all the job and provide the prepared meal at the doorsteps of your customers. So they don’t have to do anything but eating tasty food.
- The last option is the food workshops where you provide the ingredients and receives and the customers will cook the food on the workshop and take home the prepared meals. It’s different than cooking classes.
3. Decide who will be your targeted customers and what will you provide
- As you have picked up a niche, now it’s time that you find who will be your target customers and what service and products you will provide.
- For example, are you preparing the food for the busy youth or you are delivering the meal to the old people? This makes a difference, see with the youth you can cool anything but when it comes to the old people you will have to customize their food requirements such as some people would have diabetes so you would wanna deliver the diabetics food, some will have the high BP problem so you might wanna cool the low salt food. (Obviously, these things go for everyone but you will have to be more careful while cooking for the senior citizens).
- Furthermore, you might wanna decide if you will be delivering the non-veg food or your services will be limited to vegetarian food only! Overall you have to prepare a list of food that you will be able to provide so that no one in the future asks you otherwise.
4. Estimate the operational costs and ongoing costs.
- You will have to sort out the finances for the business. And the best way to do this is to estimate the required costs for the business. Firstly figure out what will be the cost of starting the business. This will include the cost of equipment, the place where you are going to cook, how you are delivering the food, as well as hiring the staff. Once you have an estimated cost you will need to know what will be the ongoing cost.
- The ongoing cost is the amount that will be required to run the business. This will include the cost of ingredients, electricity bill, rent, salary for the staff you have hired, etc. Only after this, you will know the actual amount of money which you will need to have to start the meal prep business.
5. Figure out the delivery system
- You will have to deliver the food to your customer’s house or they can even take the food from your place. The former will require the planing as you would have to hire the delivery person or you can deliver the food by yourself. You will also have to figure out how you will take the orders, is it going to be online or offline?
6. Figure out the charges for your prepped meal
- This is a crucial step that you need to take, the price of your meals should be reasonable as well as profitable. The best way to come up with the cost of meals is to add up all the expenses and add a profit margin. You might wanna add the delivery charges as well.
- If it’s still a tough job for you then you can hire a professional who will tell you the right cost for the meals!
7. Register your business
- So you have planned your business now it’s time that you actually start working and establish the business by registering it. The first step would be picking up a name for your business. Once you have done that, you would wanna register the business with your state to get the license and permits for the business.
- After choosing the name for your business you will also have to select the entity. You can either go with sole proprietor, corporation, or LLB.
8. Get the license and permits
- Every business requires some license and permits and that you will collect after registering your business or filling up some licensing forms. These will be essential to run the business. And if you conduct business without any license and insurance you might get a hefty penalty.
9. Get insurance
- Insurance is very important in today’s world. Be it life insurance or business insurance. See many things that can go wrong with your business and in order to maintain the financial stability in that crisis, you will be needing insurance.
- You can get the worker’s compensation insurance (if you have staff), liability insurance (if someone sues you), or insurance for the property in which you will be cooking food. See there are many types of insurance and you would want a be certain for any damages that might happen in the business.
10. Promote your business and get the client’s
- Everything is set and now all you need is some customers. In order to do that, you can either go the traditional way, sticking posters in your neighborhood, giving an ad in the local newspaper as well as asking your friends and family to give the referrals.
- Apart from this, you will be needing to do some market g on social media as well. The first thing you would be doing is to make a website for your business with all the details. And then can digitally promote your business on several platforms. It’s pretty easy but if you need help you can ask someone to manage the marketing on the social media platforms.
So these are the things you should keep in mind when you are starting your meal prep business. We have tried to include all the necessary steps which you would need to take to start the business. Just be confident about your business plan and thoroughly analyze the business requirements and you will be good to go.
Here we have come to an end with this article and we hope you found it useful. Thank you for visiting our page and keep coming for more such helpful content.