Being a parent is a full-time job, and it starts right from the second you find out you are having a child. Once you become a parent your whole life changes and you get worried about your child and their every move. You want the best for your child and want them to grow up as a good human. The journey of learning and exploring starts in school. Although some might think that the job of teaching lies with the teacher only, that is far from the truth. As a parent, you would have to be involved in their school journey and know what they are doing in school and how well they are performing or even struggling in school with something.
That is why the importance of teacher-parent meetings is quite high because the parents get to meet the teachers and have a talk about their school performance and more. As a parent, you must know more about the child and their school life. For this, you need to ask several questions to your child’s teacher. However, you need to know which of these must ask questions for your child’s teacher. Well, we are here to help you out if you don’t know the exact questions you need to ask the teacher about your child.
Here we have enlisted some of the most common and crucial questions that you need to ask a teacher about your child. Go ahead and have a look at these questions and know why you need to ask them.
Also check – Questions to ask teacher about learning disability / Preschool teacher interview questions
Questions To Ask Teacher About Your Child
1. How is my child’s performance in school and class?Start with the basic questions and ask the teacher about the overall performance of your child in school and where he stands in the class. This is a vague question and you can expect a vague answer too. Although the answer will give you an idea about your child’s performance in school and therefore you can lead the conversation with the teacher and ask more about your child.
2. How do you assess student progress?Schools have a way to assess the student’s progress, however, this may vary from school to school. This is why you might want to know how your child’s performance is assessed and how they give grades or judge other activities of the child while they are in school.Some schools solely assess the performance of students based on academics while others may include other things such as students’ behavior and observations. Once you are aware of the assessment of your child’s performance, you would know what to expect.
3. What one thing should I help my child improve and work on?Only a teacher can’t work on a student as parents also need to get involved at home too. If there are some weak areas of a student, they can practice at home and work on those areas with the help of their parents. So as a parent, you should know how you can help your child.You can also talk about the things that need the attention of a parent at home like mealtimes, encouragement in general areas, etc.
4. What can I do to support the work you’re doing in the classroom?There are a lot of activities in the classroom for students and some of them might need attention as homework especially if the student is not very good at those. This is why you should ask the teacher if there is anything you can do to support the classroom work at home.
5. How are creativity and innovative thinking promoted in the classroom?Kids need to be as creative as they can be in school and this is kinda the whole point. Each school has some way to increase the creativity of the students and help them become innovative. You should know what the teachers are doing to improve creativity and how they are promoting it.
6. How can I support literacy at home?The first steps start at home, if you want your kid to read and write more you might have to do it yourself with them. This is what improving literacy at home means. You can teach if there is anything you can do to promote literacy at home and see if they have any more suggestions that can help you and your kid.
7. How is my kid with other students?As a parent, you would want your kid to have more friends and help them be friendly as well. So this question will help you understand whether your kid is friendly or introverted. You should definitely ask this question if your child is new to the school and see if they are making friends or not. Know if there is anything that is bothering your kid that stops them to open up and make new friends.
8. What questions do you suggest I ask my kids daily about school?For parents, it is routine to ask their kids about school and how their day was at school. However, kids might get bored of these questions and might not want to answer the same question every day. To be more involved with their school life you can ask better questions and this is where the teacher can help you ask better questions about school.
ConclusionSo these are some of the important questions to ask the teacher about your child. We have included a wide range of questions that will help you know about your child’s performance in academics, challenges, struggles, and behavior in school. You can only help your child if you know what areas they need to improve and what are their strengths. So next time you meet your child’s teacher do ask these questions to them.That will be all for now and we hope you found everything that you have been looking for and that this article has been helpful for you. Thank you.