Have you ever wondered how to motivate yourself? I am sure we all have. Because sometimes we need the motivation to do regular work as well. But the thing is no matter how much we try we can never motivate ourselves. Well, the thing is you are not alone in this because almost all of us feel this way at some point in our life.
Even though motivating yourself is quite hard but it’s surely not an impossible thing to do. All we need is the right approach to keep ourselves motivated.
Motivation can be described as an extra push that can help us to work hard and do something. But the question is how do we motivate ourselves? And that’s what we are going to talk about in this article. Here we have listed a few ways which can help you motivate yourself and make you start as well as complete a given task.
So here are a few ways that can help you to motivate yourself.
- 1 How to motivate yourself
- 1.1 1. Remind yourself why are you doing this
- 1.2 2. Break your goal into the smaller task and make a plan
- 1.3 3. Come up with a reward system
- 1.4 4. Take a few breaks in between
- 1.5 5. Remind yourself that you are capable of doing this
- 1.6 6. Manage your time
- 1.7 7. Find an accountability partner
- 1.8 8. Prepare yourself for setbacks obstacles
- 1.9 9. Set achievable goals
- 1.10 10. Find a role model
- 1.11 11. Focus on the positive more than you do on negative
- 1.12 12. Surround yourself with inspirational people
- 1.13 13. Keep the distractions away
- 1.14 14. Write motivational quotes
- 1.15 15. Read motivational books
- 1.16 16. Meditate
How to motivate yourself
1. Remind yourself why are you doing thisThe best way to motivate yourself is to remain yourself why you are doing this and what do you want from a task. So when you need a little boost and a push to start doing something or complete what you are doing, you just remind yourself what is that you really want and why you started this in the first place.You can also write down your goal and the reason you want to complete a task and stick it somewhere you can see that every day or till that task is completed for example your desk or even on your fridge!
2. Break your goal into the smaller task and make a planThe worst thing people can make is not making a plan and not making a strategy. See the thing is if your task or goal requires a longer time to complete than it’s easy to get lost midway and that should not happen.So in order to keep yourself motivated throughout your journey, you should make a plan and break the goal into smaller tasks. This way you will be aware of how much you need to do and how much time it’s going to take. And this will also help you to come up with a plan.When you break the goal into smaller tasks, it will feel the task is much simpler and doable so you can easily get moving and start doing things without procrastinating.And this doesn’t just apply for the bog goals, you can also make a plan for a school project, a file you need to complete for office in a day, etc.
3. Come up with a reward systemThe best way to keep yourself motivated is to come up with a reward system. So each time you complete your goal, you reward yourself. The reward can be anything from a piece of chocolate cake to a new episode of any series. But make sure you keep your rewards limited so that doesn’t come between your task and make you procrastinate your next project or task.When you reward yourself it gives you a satisfaction that you have completed your work and this will definitely keep you motivated to move on to the next step!
4. Take a few breaks in betweenNo matter how much work you are capable of doing in one go, in the end, you are a human who needs breaks. So don’t be too harsh on yourself and make sure that there are enough breaks in between your work.The thing is, if you work constantly, you might be able to complete the work faster but it will make you less productive. So try to take smaller breaks in between, for example, take 5 minutes off for every hour you work, schedule your break before you start your task.
5. Remind yourself that you are capable of doing thisThe best kinda motivation comes from within so you gotta believe that you can do this and you are capable of doing this. So before you start the task you have to say this to yourself that you can do this and you are able to achieve anything.Although avoid the negative words, such as ”that’s a lot of work”, “I might not complete it today” etc.
6. Manage your timeOne of the worst things is when we lose the track of time and find ourselves out of the deadline for the task that we have assigned to finish within. So before going to sleep you can make a schedule to another day and a lot your time for each task. It’s like making a to-do list.This way you won’t waste your time and you will be able to complete your task within a limited time frame.
7. Find an accountability partnerIf you are not able to keep track of your activities and not be able to motivate yourself then you can find someone who can ask you about the things you have completed or left unfinished.When you know someone is checking up on you and reminding you why you need to do this and how you would be able to do this then you will definitely feel motivated. You know that someone has high hopes from you and they are going to ask you about your achievements.You can find anyone who gets you and is close to you, whether a family member or your friend. You can also ask them feedback and see what they think of your work.
8. Prepare yourself for setbacks obstaclesThe thing is, there are good chances that you are going to face one or another kind of obstacle in between your journey of completing a particular task. So it’s advisable that you prepare a back plan and you are aware of the problems you might face. This way you will be ready with a backup plan and able to tackle your obstacles better.So when you sit down and make a whole plan to complete a particular task, find the things that can go wrong and what you can do about them as well.
9. Set achievable goalsYour goal should not be imaginary and you shouldn’t set impossible goals. You will only get disappointed with yourself. And lose all the motivation to start again. So when you set a goal for yourself, have a clear idea why you are doing this, can this be done in this timeline? How you are going to do this?Yes, we have mentioned these things before, but the point is, if you or the task is bigger then you might get carried away at the start and find yourself demotivated when you finally understand that it’s not quite possible to do this much in a little timeframe.
10. Find a role modelRole models can help us better. Your role model should be someone who has completed that task and achieved the goal. So you should follow their examples and see what they did and what helped them. It’s natural that you will feel motivated and you will have a belief in yourself that you can do it too.Try to find your role model who you know in real life, like your teacher, seniors, parents, friends, etc. And if you don’t find a role model in the people that you know, then you can move to a celebrity or someone popular, etc.
11. Focus on the positive more than you do on negativeThere will be things that are obstacles or negative about your plan but that doesn’t mean you can’t achieve them, so make sure that you try to focus on the positive things rather than focusing on the negative.You can write down the positive things as well as negative things, positive things will keep you motivated and the negative things will remind you where you need to work and what you need to do.
12. Surround yourself with inspirational peopleBe around the people who motivate you and inspire you to do better rather than hanging out with those who discourage you. Our surroundings can have a lot of impact on ourselves so you should be always aware of the kind of people you have around yourself.
13. Keep the distractions awayAfter all, this, if you have managed to motive yourself but there are a few distractions around you then all will go in vain. So make sure that when you start doing something you set aside all the distractions and allow yourself to stay focused throughout the task. This will definitely help you to stay motivated.
14. Write motivational quotesMotivational quotes can be very helpful and that’s why you should too write some of the best motivational quotes around you that will subconsciously help you to keep motivated. Here you can stick the motivational quotes around the house or on your working desk where you can see them often.
15. Read motivational booksReading motivational books can also be pretty helpful in order to keep yourself motivated. Of you find yourself motivated and stuck somewhere then you should try reading a motivational book.There are hundreds of motivational books available in the market and you can easily find one that will inspire you and motivate you to do better.
16. MeditateMeditation can also help you to stay motivated as it helps you gain mindfulness and you will be able to stay more focused and motivated. So keep your mental health in check and start meditating as well as some light exercises.
So these are some of the simple ways that can motivate yourself. They didn’t seem so hard right? But the thing is, these are easier said than done. So keep reminding yourself why you are doing this and follow up with the aforementioned tips to keep yourself motivated throughout a long process of hard work. And you will never lose your motivation this way.
We hope you found our article helpful and you like it. So thank you are visiting our page, we are glad we could help.