For some people, public speaking comes naturally while others struggle a lot when it comes to speaking in front of a big group. If you are one of them then you are not alone. The fear of speaking publicly is much more common than you can think. However, it is not something that is impossible to overcome with the right steps and a little effort you can manage to confidently speak in public.
When it comes to speaking in front of bug groups, the students might struggle a lot. And it is quite natural. It can be terrifying to speak in front of peers while thinking you can screw up anytime. However, as we have said, this is a common thing that a lot of students face and it is possible to overcome it.
All you need is the confidence to speak your mind in front of your class so you can give answers, presentations, or simply just open up about yourself. Here, we are going to help you out and tell you how you can become more confident while speaking in class.
Go ahead and take a look at the following article and see how you can speak confidently while speaking in class.
Ways To Be Confident While Speaking In Class
1. Use Positive Affirmations for YourselfThe journey of public speaking starts with yourself. So you will need to start appreciating yourself with some positive self-talk. This is the first step to becoming more confident in life and it can make a lot of difference.When it comes to speaking in front of a class, you might want to talk it out with yourself first. You should say things like “you can do this”, “you are confident enough to speak in class”, “you will do good today”, etc.The more positive you are with yourself the more confident you become in front of others. Studies have shown that positive talk helps a lot before anything big you are going to do, whether it’s a game or speaking publicly.
2. Figure Out Why You Are NervousSometimes we are afraid of something else and it can show up in our performances. There are many fears other than just speaking publicly which might affect your performance or speaking ability, so you would like to address that as well.For example, you might be afraid of getting a bad grade or embarrassing yourself in front of the whole class, your crush, teachers, or just your friends. Once you know what is it that is making you nervous you might find a good way to face that fear and tackle the situation before speaking in front of your class.Again, you should talk it out with yourself if you find out why you are nervous. If you think you can embarrass yourself in front of the class then make sure you sound smart enough or are fully prepared for the presentation or debate.
3. Ask for help from someone who is a good speakerOne of the things you should never be afraid of is asking for help. This applies to all of the problems that life is going to throw at you. Just because you are strong enough to handle or face all the issues and problems doesn’t mean you have to.So, if you know someone who is a good public speaker then you can always ask for their help. They might know you better to give you good advice or tips to speak confidently in front of the class. It can be an adult, your friends, or even your teachers.You can ask questions like how you can prepare before you deliver your speech or how you can keep a track of your speech. If you have already prepared a speech you can ask them to give you their honest reviews as well as suggestions.
4. Incorporate changes in your daily life that can improve your public speakingThose who are good public speakers don’t happen to be God’s favorite, they are good because they have practiced their whole life and that’s why they can speak in front of the class or a large group of people so effortlessly.You can also make some changes in your life that help you get better at public speaking, remember to take baby steps. You can start raising your hands in class more often, you can try to talk to new people or more than two people at a time, listen to speeches given by others, and so on.Try to set some goals or challenges every day and meet them. The more you are okay with being out of your comfort zone the better it will be for your public speaking ability.
5. Prepare your speechIf you have prepared your speech several times and covered almost every topic then you would feel much more confident.So when it comes to giving a speech in class the first thing you need to do is prepare and plan your speech. Go to each point of your speech and see if that is correct and what kind of questions these lines can raise, you can also prepare the answers to possible questions that can be asked to you.Try to put more emphasis on the outlines and the topics involved in the speech. And memorize your speech bit by bit. Do all the research and see if you are missing out on something. Overall, structure your speech in a way that there is not too little room for mistakes. Practice speaking the speech several times and also in front of your friends so you would feel more confident while delivering the speech in class.
6. Make NotesMaking notes is also an excellent way of remembering the speech and also reminding yourself about the progress.You can write down your fears and also the possible solutions so you can easily cover up the speech. Making notes is always helpful whether it’s an exam or an activity. You can write the points you are most worried about as well as your strengths and strong points so you can feel more confident.Making notes also help you to memorize the speech and you won’t forget the little things like major names, dates, or events while delivering the speech.
7. Analyze the room in advanceWhen you have to give a speech, it’s always better to check out the place and get familiar with the room. This does help you get more confident as well as comfortable while delivering the speech.An unfamiliar environment can also lead to anxiety or nervousness which can impact your confidence level. So getting familiar with the room and the overall environment would certainly help you get a little more confidence before you speak in the class.
8. Do some breathing exercisesThe breathing exercises are said to be very helpful when it comes to making you calmer and reducing nervousness. There are plenty of breathing exercises available that you can practice daily. However, you can also start with something simple like breathing in and out or belly breathing before you are going to give a speech.
9. Try to have funIf you are giving a speech in front of your class and you know most of the people then you should feel a little relieved already. You can include some jokes while you give out your speech or take some questions from the class.Think of it like a group study or discussion session where you have to put out your views or talk about something you are certain about. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself and try to calm down and have fun in the moment.
10. Learn from mistakes but don’t dwell on themIf you have given speeches in the past in front of your class and they haven’t gone as well as you may have hoped for, then you should be learning from those speeches.This is the time that you can either learn from the mistakes or dwell on them and keep yourself reserved from speaking ever again. The former sounds much better right?If something has gone wrong in the past doesn’t mean it is going to go the same way. Try to remember that mistakes happen and they happen so that we can learn from them and do better the next time.
11. Dress wellDressing well can increase your confidence more than you can think of. So before you speak in front of your class make sure you are well-groomed and appropriately dressed for the day.If it’s a big thing like a debate or giving a speech in front of the whole school, don’t shy away from shopping for new clothes. If your school has uniforms make sure it is ironed and worn in the right way. Don’t do too much to your hair, just make sure you look more out together. You can get some help from your friend or siblings to look your best for the day.
ConclusionSo these are some of the best ways you can become more confident while speaking in class. You can start taking baby steps that we have listed above and you will see improvement in yourself. There are many people out there who are struggling to speak confidently in front of a big group, so remember that you are not alone.The more confident you are while speaking in class, the more will people take you seriously. The change might not happen overnight but make sure you keep trying and be better and give your best.