We all have fallen for someone and been in one-sided love. This might be the worst feeling and can cause a great deal of pain as well (in some cases). And that’s why it important that you know how to deal with one-sided love.
The one-sided love is pretty common these days, we meet someone, we like them and then finally fall for them but things get a little painful when we find out that they don’t love us. This can be a painful experience and you might end up hurting yourself.
And that’s where you need to learn how to deal with one-sided love. If you are careful enough then you might be in a good place after all this. You just have to understand a few things and then deal with your emotions. And that’s what this whole article is about. Here we have written down some of the ways which will help you deal with one-sided love, so go ahead as it might help you in one way or another.
- 1 How To Deal With One Sided Love
- 1.1 1. Signs of one-sided love
- 1.2 2. Acceptance
- 1.3 3. Decide whether you want to be their friend or distance yourself from them.
- 1.4 4. Being their friend
- 1.5 5. Distance yourself from them
- 1.6 6. Set boundaries
- 1.7 7. Don’t be obsessed with them
- 1.8 8. Don’t tell about your feelings again and again
- 1.9 9. Don’t expect anything from them
- 1.10 10. Respect that person no matter what
- 1.11 11. It’s not your fault!
How To Deal With One Sided Love
1. Signs of one-sided loveIn order to deal with one-sided love, you will have to be sure if you are on one side love. And here are some of the signs that may suggest that you are indeed in one-sided love!
- For you, they will be perfect and you won’t see any flaws in them. You will often find yourself explaining their mistakes and giving justifications for their wrongdoings.
- You will give them your first priority knowing that they don’t care at all about you or spent give you as much importance as you give them.
- You will be desperate to talk to them or to meet them. And always find excuses to be around them even though they won’t reciprocate your efforts.
- You might find yourself stalking them often on social media
- There will be no such feeling from that person but you still couldn’t control yourself from feeling this way about them.Sometimes the one-sided love maybe just you have a crush on them. Although if your feelings remain the same for the person for a longer period of time then this might be a sign of one-sided love.
2. AcceptanceOnce you are sure that you are in love with this person even though they don’t feel the same about you. Then this might be a time that you accept the fact that this is indeed a one-sided love and there are great chances that nothing will happen in the future.You have to accept that the other person doesn’t feel the same about you and there is nothing you can do about it. Although you can choose how you are going to deal with all this.
3. Decide whether you want to be their friend or distance yourself from them.There are two popular ways to deal with one-sided love. One is remaining their friend for life and never expecting anything g in return and the other is distancing yourself from them. Both have their perks and their disadvantages and you can go for any of the ways you want to.You will have to decide whether you are strong enough to be their friend for the rest of your life and be with them or just them off to save yourself from the pain of seeing them every day and not able to love them.
4. Being their friendMany people decide to stay friends with the person for whom they have fallen but this might be a little hard as well. See you may think that at least you will be their friend and get to see them every day. And you might find it comforting that they actually care about you and they are your good friends as well.But this can get too ugly as well when they find someone else and be in a relationship where you are still in love with them. They may be your good friend but you will have to understand that they might never be yours and you will have to see them every day in spite of everything. This can be hard as well.
5. Distance yourself from themThis is the second option you can go for. If you are pretty sure that there won’t be anything in the future that might happen between you and them, so be practical and distance yourself from them. We are not suggesting to completely cut them off but you will have to eventually make a healthy distance from them. You might wanna avoid daily meetings with them or hanging out with them. This will help you to cope up with the one-sided love. Although you can be formally in touch with them and keep in touch to not make things too awkward for example, greetings, when you meet them, would be fine.
6. Set boundariesYou will have to set some boundaries between you and your love so that it will be easier for you to deal with it. Here you might need to learn to say no to them when they ask you to join them (in a group or when they are with their partner). Here you should also stop yourself from checking upon them.This might be hard in the first place but eventually, you will find it’s better for both of you. So always make boundaries, whether you decide to stay their friend or decide to distance yourself from them.
7. Don’t be obsessed with themWe have often seen in one-sided love that people become obsessed with the other person and end up hurting themselves and others. And that’s what you need to avoid. Make this clear to yourself that it’s okay to be in this situation and there is nothing much you can do about it. So stop checking up on them every once in a while and to scrolling their social media feed as well.You will have to be considerate about these feelings from the start and you will have to stop yourself from making this one-sided love into the obsession.
8. Don’t tell about your feelings again and againIf you have decided to be their friend then this will be a huge test for you. See if you already told them how they feel and they have made it clear that they don’t feel the same way about you, then you will have to make a promise to yourself that you will not tell your feelings again and again.You might feel sharing your feelings but if you do if more often you will be stuck at these feelings for a very long time. And this won’t be healthy for you. So try not to reiterate your feelings again and again especially to the person you have fallen for.
9. Don’t expect anything from themExpectations always lead to disappointment whether it’s from your friends or partners, but when it comes to the one-sided love, you will have to keep the expectations as minimum as possible. So make sure that you don’t expect any gesture in return. Lower your expectations and hopes from the person. Don’t take the burden on yourself and hope that everything will come around and become what you want.
10. Respect that person no matter whatIt doesn’t matter how hopelessly you are in love with them or how much you do for them if they have decided to not be with you and they don’t feel the same way about you, then it’s upon you to take this as calmly as possible. And just keep in mind that they are the same person you have fallen for and most importantly they are your friend as well. So you will have to respect them and their feeling about you. There shouldn’t be anything to complain about and anything that might hurt their feelings.
11. It’s not your fault!Sometimes things just don’t happen and it doesn’t matter what you do or not. It is what it is, and there is nothing you can do about it. You will have to understand that things don’t always work out the way you want them and it’s completely okay too.Their feelings aren’t the result of your doing and you can’t control them either. So you can just accept the present scenario but keep in mind that the timing is wrong and not you. And this is not your fault in any way.
So here we have come to an end for our article, One-sided love and how to deal with it. We hope you liked it and find it helpful. We know it’s quite painful to fall in love with someone who doesn’t love us back but also knows that it’s common and we all have been there as well. So help yourself in dealing with it in a positive way.
Thank you for being with and we hope you liked the article.