Atlanta is the city that has seen it all, from the civil rights movements to being one of the top commercial hubs in America or in the whole world for that matter. Atlanta was also the home of one of the greatest leaders in the world, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. So it’s clear that the city would give us a lot to see whether it comes to the historical values to some of the best attractions like Georgia Aquarium and World of Coca Cola.
The city has numerous places that you should visit and there are plenty of things to do in Atlanta. The thing is you might have limited time in the city and that’s why you will have to prioritize the places that you want to visit as per your preferences for art, culture, literature, sci-tech stuff, or other fun activities in the city.
It’s clear that you might not be able to explore everything that Atlanta has to offer but you can make a list of things that you must visit. And for that, we are going to help you out. In this article, we have listed out a few things that you should do while you are in Atlanta to make the best out of your visit here. So let’s get started and find you some of the best things to do in Atlanta.
- 1 Things to do in Atlanta
- 1.1 1. Martin Luther King Jr. National Historical Park
- 1.2 2. Atlanta’s Fox Theatre
- 1.3 3. World of Coca-Cola
- 1.4 4. Georgia Aquarium
- 1.5 5. Center for Civil and Human Rights
- 1.6 6. Atlanta Botanical Garden
- 1.7 7. Centennial Olympic Park
- 1.8 8. High Museum of Art
- 1.9 9. Chattahoochee River National Recreation
- 1.10 10. Piedmont Park
- 1.11 11. Zoo Atlanta
- 1.12 12. Go for the brunch spots and try out the local beverages
- 1.13 13. Go for a drive-in movie
- 1.14 14. Ebenezer Baptist Church
- 1.15 15. Skyview Atlanta
Things to do in Atlanta
1. Martin Luther King Jr. National Historical ParkIf you are visiting the home city of one of the greatest leaders we have had in the history of mankind then you must be a little curious about his history and the places which are related to the civil rights movements. And this place is full of those places which are connected to the civil rights movement.There is a tomb of Martin Luther King Jr. And his wife Coretta Scott King where you can pay your respect. They lie at the center of a reflecting pool with an eternal flame burning close by. The center features a number of preserved items from the times of the civil rights movement with the audio material as well.The International Civil Rights Hall of Fame honors the key figures in the movement. And there are a number of other things that you would enjoy as well.
2. Atlanta’s Fox TheatreAtlanta’s Fox Theatre is a must-visit the place where you can enjoy the performances. But the place is not just entertainment soot there is so much more to see in the theater apart from the performances. The theater itself is a landmark of the city and the best part is people don’t need a ticket to take a tour of the theater.The interior of the theater is phenomenal and its design was inspired by Egyptian and Spanish architecture. If you divide to take a tour you would get a tutorial guide on the details of the design of the building and its history. It’s one of the best buildings in Atlanta and you should definitely visit it.
3. World of Coca-ColaCoca-Cola is one of the world’s favorite beverages and this drink was invented in Atlanta. So it’s natural that there would be a lot to know about Coca-Cola in the city and that’s why you need to visit the World of Coca-Cola!The place is kinda a museum for Coca-Cola where you can learn a lot about the company and many facts related to the drink. It’s not just for curiosity but the place is one of the biggest landmarks and attractions of the city. You would know-how the drink got invented, knowledge about its a secret recipe, and how the rivals tried to steal it, the equipment used in the making of the drink, and much more.The “Taste It” allows you to get a taste of more than 100 beverages produced by the company! For this, you might need the World of Coca-Cola self-guided admission tour!
4. Georgia AquariumGeorgia Aquarium is one of the largest aquariums of the world and its the home of one of the largest fish, the whale shark. The aquarium features a 24,000 cubic meter tank that hosts the largest whale shark. This one is the main center of attraction. Apart from this, beluga, in an eight-meter deep habitat with three interconnected areas.The aquarium has seven galleries and features a hundred thousand animals from 700 species. Here you will see some of the most diverse and never seen before marine creatures that would just fascinate you. Here the 4D theater show is another attraction and you don’t wanna miss that either. Overall, this place is one of the key landmarks and a popular tourist destination so do make time for this one.
5. Center for Civil and Human RightsIf you are interested in the civil and human rights movement then this place is a must-visit and this one too is a popular destination for tourists that you must visit. It is located just by the side of Georgia Aquarium and World of Coca-Cola so you won’t have to go too far to visit the place.Here you will find a wide collection of Martin Luther King Jr. artifacts and some of the handwritten drafts by him. The whole tour would just take about one and a half hours. But the exhibitions and the displayed collection is so beautiful and informative that you can spend a fair share amount of the day here. Overall it won’t take much of your time and the fact that it’s just by side of some of the major attraction of town would definitely make it easier for you to explore the place.
6. Atlanta Botanical GardenThe Atlanta Botanical Garden is definitely one of the things that you should visit while you are in the city. The Botanical Garden covers about 30 acres of land to the northwest corner of another popular destination of the city Piedmont Park.The place is full of magnificent structures and gardens that you would just found magical. There are a number of things to see such as the Fuqua Orchid Center (which has the largest collection of orchids), the Tropical Display House, the Tropical High Elevation House and etc are dedicated to orchids.There are many other garden presents such as a rose garden, a Japanese garden, children’s educational garden, and so on. Not only this, in Fuqua Conservatory you would find a collection of poison dart frogs, turtles, and colorful birds. You should visit the place in the blooming season to admire its true beauty so avoid the winter season if possible.
7. Centennial Olympic ParkThe place was originally build to host the Olympics 1996 but now it is one of the city’s main attractions and people love to explore it for its beautiful architecture and the presence of grass patches, fountains, artwork, pools, etc.It covered 21-acre land and after the games have ended the park was rebuilt for everyday use and it became the place to host celebrations, concerts, festivals, and many events over the years. Its located downtown and it’s a place that you can explore in a couple of hours.
8. High Museum of ArtThe next best thing to visit in Atlanta is the High Museum of Art. The building is itself an attraction as it is covered in white porcelain that is mirrored on the interior. Apart from this, the place hosts the American art of the 19th century and the 20th century. There are also a number of Italian art pieces dated back in the 13th century to the 20th century.There are many galleries in the building with a number of restaurants and a gift shop. There are a number of performances and events hosted in the building which you can enjoy. So do pay attention to the museum’s calendar to see what’s going on so that you can align your schedule.
9. Chattahoochee River National RecreationIf you are in a mood to do something fun that you shouldn’t miss out on the fun activities of the Chattahoochee River. The place is a combination of 15 individual land units connected by 48 miles of Chattahoochee River.You can take a boat, kayak, go for a raft, or canoe. There is also a bike tracking place, people can also hike, and fishing is another option for a fun activity. Overall people would have an opportunity to spend quite a time with nature here.
10. Piedmont ParkAnother popular place to visit in Atlanta is Piedmont Park, the place is just beautiful and full of amazing scenery. You would get an experience of undulating hills and miles of paved trails. The fact that the park is surrounded by Atlanta’s skyscrapers building makes it even more gorgeous.This urban park would allow people to rent a bike and wander in the greenery. There is a well-planned playground for kids where you can play almost play any game that you can think of. If you are here in summers that you are likely to catch many festivals and food events. Overall you would certainly enjoy your time here.
11. Zoo AtlantaIf you are in a mood to see some wildlife in Atlanta then you must visit the Zoo Atlanta. The zoo is home to many animals and different species. There are a number of primates and other African animals such as elephants, lions, giraffes, zebras, black rhinos and so many more.There are also a number of reptiles as well in the zoo and you would certainly like to see them in their natural habitat. Kids would love the place and all these animals.
12. Go for the brunch spots and try out the local beveragesIf you are in Atlanta then you can’t miss the popular brunch spots in the city as they give us some of the best food in the city. There are a number of places such as the Atlanta Breakfast Club, The Spice House, Flying Biscuit Cafe and so many more.Apart from the brunch spots, you would also like to try the local brewery from the Atlanta’s some of famous bars and breweries. Some of the popular spots include Scofflaw, Orpheus, Atlanta Brewing Company, and New Realm Brewing where you can enjoy your favorite drinks on the rooftop.
13. Go for a drive-in movieIf you have never experienced a drive in a movie before then you can try it for the first time in Atlanta! And the good news is, the Southeast drive-in theater features some of the current movies rather than just showing the classics so you would have fun.But there are a number of rules and regulations regarding the position of your car or getting a good spot if you come early at the destination. Overall if you have never experienced it before then you should definitely try it out.
14. Ebenezer Baptist ChurchNext on our list of things to do in Atlanta is to visit Ebenezer Baptist Church. Martin Luther King’s father was a pastor here and that makes this place more significant. The place holds a collection of speeches and keynotes by Martin Luther King Jr.
15. Skyview AtlantaOne of the best things you can experience in any city is the Ferris Wheel from where you can get a good view of the whole city and take a break to appreciate the beautiful city from the tallest places. You can also find a date night package which involves a VIP lounge and horse-drawn carriage ride.
So these are things that you must do in Atlanta. As we have mentioned earlier we might not have included it all in here but you will get a fair idea about what you need to do and visit in Atlanta and the rest of things would line up with your schedule.
We just hope that you enjoyed our list and found it helpful. So thank you for your time and we hope you have the best time in Atlanta!