Sometimes we want to talk to the people but end up asking how are you? And the conversation ends with I’m fine thank you! And we understand it’s actually hard for some people to keep the conversation going on and have a longer chat with someone.
Take your example, how many times it happened to you when you met someone but couldn’t talk and everything becomes so awkward and the time becomes unbearable. And there is no way that you are going to get away from the situation any time soon. We all have been there and that’s why we know the importance of a good conversation with someone.
Some people might be able to start the conversation but they don’t know how to keep the conversation going which results in an awkward situation. And trust me when it comes to keeping the conversation going on with your crush or with any business colleague, the art of keeping the conversation going on becomes so very important. And we also know that not everyone is blessed with this art of keeping the conversation going on.
But that doesn’t mean that these people have to suffer their whole life being in an awkward situation. Because everyone can easily keep the conversation going on if they the simple dos and don’ts of how to keep the conversation. In this article, we are featuring some tips for how to keep the conversation going how so that you never caught the awkward silence.
Let’s start the list and start the article for How to keep the conversation going on!
- 1 How to keep conversation going
- 1.1 1. Don’t think too much
- 1.2 2. Know everything about your favorite topic and interests.
- 1.3 3. Know what’s going on in the world
- 1.4 4. Ask open-ended questions
- 1.5 5. Wait for the other person to speak
- 1.6 6. Start with the small talks
- 1.7 7. Pay attention to what they are saying
- 1.8 8. Keep eye contact
- 1.9 9. Watch your body language
- 1.10 10. Give a smile
How to keep conversation going
1. Don’t think too muchOften the problem with people is that they think too much and judge themselves. For example, something comes in your mind, you should be thinking, is it cool to say? Will they find it funny or not? Is it stupid to say? Things like this in your mind will definitely stop you from speaking the right thing at the right moment and you will end up being silent.To avoid their situation you might practice a little bit to speak what’s in your mind. You can start having a conversation with the people you already know. And just like that, you will build up the confidence to speak your mind in front of anyone. Just remember as long as you are not racist or sexist or saying something that can land you in jail you are going to be fine! So speak whatever in your mind without being too judgmental about it.
2. Know everything about your favorite topic and interests.See everyone has some interests and hobbies, some times they can play a very big role when it comes to having a long conversation with people that you just met. For example, if you are interested in a particular series and people around you are talking about it, then this might be a golden chance to keep the conversation going and become a part of the conversation. You can share everything that you know about that series and you can put your thoughts as well.This concept would work with any of your favorite topics and interests. Knowing something about a particular thing will always give you an edge to keep the conversation going on.
3. Know what’s going on in the worldSometimes it becomes important that you know about the major things that are going on in the world. See if you are in any party or conference and you having a conversation with someone. And if you run out of the topics, you can always start with your thoughts on the current things going on in the world.This will help you to become the person who knows kinda everything about the current affairs of the world and it will make you appear smart. See the thing is, people, love to hear what’s going on and the news stories and development on the topics that they were talking about.And if would also help if you learn things that are related to your work. For example, if you work in the corporate sector then you can talk about the corporate world and what’s new with it, and that goes for every work field.
4. Ask open-ended questionsAsking the questions which have the simple yes or no is always considered as the conversation killers. And if you want to keep the conversation going on you should always avoid these kinda questions.Instead, you should look out for the questions that are more open-ended and have a bigger answer that can lead to several other conversations. You can ask, what do you think about this party? Instead of Do you like this party?People tend to ask the yes or no questions but with a little practice, you will learn how to ask open-ended questions which will keep your conversation going for as long as you want.
5. Wait for the other person to speakSometimes when we start the conversation and we saw it stalling, we either try to get away from the situation or we try to fill the silence which makes it more awkward. But if we would recommend avoiding both the options and let the silence sink in. Because there are higher chances that the other person will come up with something and then you will have a topic to keep the conversation going on.The idea behind this suggestion is you dont need to take all the burden of keeping the conversation going and always trying to hard to fill the silences and this might make you more awkward as well.
6. Start with the small talksSmall talks often play a bigger role in keeping the conversation going and that’s why we shouldn’t underestimate its power. You can start the conversation with small talks and then slowly take it to the next level and make it a deeper conversation.For example, you can start the conversation with basic small talk, that is where do you live? And when they answer and they live in a great place, then you may take the conversation forward to ask about the place or you can share your experiences about the place as well (if you have been there).
7. Pay attention to what they are sayingYou might not find this tip very useful and think how is listing to the other person will help the conversation going. Well, that’s where you are wrong. A lot of people dont listen to what the other person is speaking about and that where they lose interest and end the conversation. But if you give your full attention to what the other person is saying, you will make them feel special. And you may also find something good to say to what they are talking about.
8. Keep eye contactThis is a very important tip that most people avoid. See the thing is people who look you in the eye will have more chances to have a longer conversation with comparison to the people who just look in different directions while having the conversation. So make sure you always maintain eye contact when it comes to having a conversation with someone.And your eyes actually speak for you so you can actually try to express your feelings through your eyes and make them know that you are fully engaged in the conversation.
9. Watch your body languageJust like eye contact, you will have to watch your body language as well. Because your body language says a lot about you and your intentions of having a conversation with another person. Here the body language is all about nonverbal communication.If you sit stiffly then you might make the other person uncomfortable and they might guess that you are interested in having a conversation. So you can try to be relaxed or maybe lean towards the other person while they talk to you.
10. Give a smileSee a smile can make a lot of difference. This shows that you are a happy go lucky person and it will become easier if you give a smile while having a conversation with the other person.
- Other than these, you can also ask frequent questions while the other person is trying to have a conversation this will show them that you are fully interested and engaged in the conversation.
- And you should also know that sometimes its completely fine to have no conversation with anyone you just met.
So these are some simple ways to keep the conversation going on. If you work a little bit on these tips you might be able to save yourselves from awkward silences and you might finally have a long conversation with your favorite people.
We hope you found the article helpful. We hope you like the article and now you will be able to have a good conversation with the people you want to talk to. Thank you for visiting the page and keep coming for more such articles.